Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Transfer case 4 wheel problems on 85

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 05:52 PM
loscochinos520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer case 4 wheel problems on 85

I recieved an 85 chevy blazer k5 full size with a 454 and 700r4 tranny from an uncle who passed away. while driving my truck it kicks out of gear and the 4 wheel also kicks out of gear. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this problem. I also have another 87 blazer (totaled body) and im thinking of pulling the t case out, how hard is it to take the t case off the tranny? I was also told the differintials might be the problem? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transfer case 4 wheel problems on 85

It all depends on how well you are with wrenching (mechanic work). Removing a T-case isn't the easiest job in the world, but not the hardest either. The major annoyance is in the weight of the transfer case. I'm not sure if the '85 (or the '87 for that matter) had an aluminum transfer case... If it did, then it would be alot easier. The t-case out of my dad's old heavy 3/4-ton '73 was a beast to remove. The problem lies in the weight and ackwardness (is that a word) of the t-case. Typically, there isn't a flat surface to support it on a jack.

Basically, you need to figure out some way of supporting the t-case while you unbolt it. First thing you do is disconnect both drive shafts. The shifter linkage is next. Then you can go at supporting the transmission on a jack and remove the transmission crossmember. Next put the transmission on a jack stand (only if you don't have 2 jacks) and position the jack under the t-case (you may have to make up a custom wood cribbing to make supporting the t-case safer and attach this cribbing to the t-case with small ratchet straps). Then unbolt the t-case. Re-install in the reverse order.

Now I must say that I have no experience on your particular vehicle, but I have removed a couple of transmissions from 4x4 trucks in the past. I had to remove the transmission from an old '85 S10 4x4 that I had awhile back and you should have more room under a full size blazer. One thing that you will want to make sure of is that the '87 t-case is the same as your '85. If you are pulling it from a yard (pick-n-pull or the like), they should be able to give you a cross-reference list of all of the vehicles that came equiped with the t-case that will fit your application.

Good Luck!