Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Transfer case 97 awd jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
jonbusa is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case 97 awd jimmy

Got a question i have an AWD jimmy and the transfer case is bad slipping reakky bad.... Could i put a push button 4wd transfer case in it if i got all the wiring and case from a wrecked one... Or is it way too much headache and should just get another awd one? Wat do yall think? Keep n mibd i only use it to drive to work 40 miles a day and take it to the deer woods just to pull my wheeler so no serious mid or nothing

Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend putting in the time & effort in a swap unless you are going to go with a fully mechanical NP231 swap. The electric 4wd systems are complicated and your truck is not setup wiring wise for that. Another thing to consider with a swap to a NP231 is that your PCM will not know when you are in low range so it won't change shift characteristics to suit the lower gear.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Sounds good guess i will be goin back to awd

Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Can i rebuild ths transfer case or just keep looking for a used one i looked all over the internet yesterday and apparently the borg warner 4472 is hard to find. What are my options is there another transfer case that is more common that will work or something? I need this thing going asap amd only have about $200 to spend on one

Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

you can get rebuilt kits for them ( Rebuilt BW4472 & BW1372 Transfer Case Parts Illustration drawing and parts list! - Drivetrain.com ), but if you need new gears inside it will cost more then $200, you could call around the junk yards for a used one, or buy a rebuilt one for $700-1200

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merged threads* - Please keep things together in one place. Asking the same question in multiple threads violates the rules of the forum.

I doubt you'll be doing anything for $200. The clutch in the transfer case costs twice that.

The BW4472 was used in the Astro/Safari vans as well so that may broaden your search range.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I doubt you'll be doing anything for $200. The clutch in the transfer case costs twice that.

Good point, I didn't even look at the price of that.. $390 just for that....

Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Would a bw1372 work? Can get rear drive shaft too if i needed? I have a 4472???

I found a nice bw1372 out of one in my local salvage yard seems like woth the research i have done that the rear shaft is the only difference so all i need to make it work is the front yoke off of the rear driveshaft

Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

where are you located? I have a perfect working condition borg warner t-case out of my 97 bravada AWD i swapped to a v-8 and removed the awd system so i have no use for it

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Im in arkansas text me at *snip* or email 'screenname here' at hotmail dot com

Last edited by swartlkk; 10-13-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: removed personal info

Quick Reply: Transfer case 97 awd jimmy