Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Troubles disengaging the 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Adrienne Zastrow is on a distinguished road
Default Troubles disengaging the 4WD

02 Blazer 4.3L 6Cyl

HI

I have no issues going from 2WD to 4Hi but to get it back to 2WD it is a massive pain. Ive tried putting it in reverse, park, neutral, all the gears, while turning, going slow or fast. I think Ive tried everything and it will eventually go out but ever the same way. I just dont want to ruin anything more by needing the 4hi and having to drive it while it is stuck there. I can hear the clicking like it is trying to switch but with many fails. Its never as easy as it is to get it into 4hi.

I think its the transfer case motor but want to see what you guys say before I go buy/replace stuff.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would check the front axle engagement actuator cable travel and see if the movement seems stiff.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
kelly belly fat boy is on a distinguished road
Default misery loves company

I am having similar troubles with my 2001 Blazer. The push button switch will flash when 2wd is pressed but always defaults to 4hi. it will also "appear" to go into auto 4wd but the front axle is certainly still engaged as it barks going around tight turns. My instrument panel switch cycles properly when I turn the key on (all lights come on for a sec and then lights 4wd only).....so I think that eliminates that switch maybe?? I found a vac hose cracked and nearly off...Eureka!!....nope no change. diaphragm and cable seem to be working fine. A youtuber said check the Transfer case vacuum switch as they are common problems.......that's where my problem is now, I can't find that switch...It's not where it's supposed to be! Any idea on that? Did they make a design change and move it or eliminate it?

I'm reaching for the tannerite!! Sombody help please!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

kelly, the 4-button 4wd system does not use a mechanical switch on the transfer case to actuate the front axle engagement; it uses an electronic solenoid valve located on the firewall.

If you continue to have problems and need some more advice, please create a new thread of your own as it appears as though the thread author has the 3-button setup and there is enough different between the mechanical & electrical components that we do not want to get too side tracked in this thread.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Foggman is on a distinguished road
Default Solved

I found the issue, the cable came out of the vacuum actuator under the battery. Thank you for all the help