Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Turning & 4wd = no go

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM
cass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turning & 4wd = no go

on my 2003 blazer if i put it in 4 wheel drive and turn the wheels it wont move. why? please help....

Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's called drivetrain bind. Happens on all 4wd vehicles when the system is locked in while turning on a high traction surface. This is why it is not good to drive in 4wd when it isn't required for the conditions. Eventually, something will break.

*Moved to a new thread in Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain* - Instead of a reply to a completely unrelated thread discussing tires...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cass
on my 2003 blazer if i put it in 4 wheel drive and turn the wheels it wont move. why? please help....
Something will definitely break if you push it too much, If its dry and you wanna move the grease around in your front end... straight line is the way to go.
Iv'e heared of motor mounts breaking easy if your not careful.
I broke both mounts pulling a boat out of the water in 4Low

Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 PM

im leaking anifreeze interal but i have good compression. could it be from intake gasket?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

This is what happens from driving with the front axle locked in on blacktop. My 04 s10 had a BAD vacuum switch on the t-case leaving the axle locked in all the time.

Attached Thumbnails Turning & 4wd = no go-679865_10151203388462707_394358439_o.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM
J_E
Beginning Member
J_E is on a distinguished road

Leaving the front axle locked is fine as long as the tcase is in 2wd, unless you have a non selectable locker in the front axle (such as a Detroit or Aussie). There are plenty of jeeps setup like that. The only problem is that you get a little bind when you make sharp turns, such as when pulling into a parking space.

Cass to answer your other question about leaking coolant internally. If you have good compression and are leaking coolant internally, then yes it is probably a bad intake manifold gasket. These 4.3L engines have developed something of a reputation for that. It needs to be fixed as soon as possible, because you could damage bearings of valves depending on where the coolant is going inside the engine. Do not use the plastic style factory replacement gaskets, go with the much better Felpro rubber and metal gaskets.

Last edited by J_E; 12-14-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazin00LT
This is what happens from driving with the front axle locked in on blacktop. My 04 s10 had a BAD vacuum switch on the t-case leaving the axle locked in all the time.
Well that is interesting...what kind of sound did that make?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

It was a very loud pop.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by J_E
Leaving the front axle locked is fine as long as the tcase is in 2wd, unless you have a non selectable locker in the front axle (such as a Detroit or Aussie). There are plenty of jeeps setup like that. The only problem is that you get a little bind when you make sharp turns, such as when pulling into a parking space.
An auto locker in the front has almost no affect on turning(edit: in 2wd). they make a bit of noise though.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM

my antifreeze is going out the exaust

Quick Reply: Turning & 4wd = no go