Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

u-joint removal w/o manual press

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
1stgen4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default u-joint removal w/o manual press

hey ya'll im trying to remove my u-joint from the yolk on the rear drive shaft and i dont have a manual press whats the easiest backyard mechanic way to do this????

Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: u-joint removal w/o manual press

if i`m not mistaking the u-joints on these blazers have neoprene in the groove of the joint where you have to heat the yoke to get the neoprene to melt out of the hole in the driveshaft,,I havent even looked at mine yet to see but i beleive thats what they have,, afetr thats out then you can bang out the joint with a good heavy hammer..be careful putting them back together, if you do it wrong go buy new joints again!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Close, its nylon that is injected into the yoke to retain the cups. You need to heat the ear of the yoke while you press the cup out. You will need a large vise at the very least. I have done many with just a vice and some appropriately sized sockets. One that the cup will fit into and the other that is just a hair smaller than the cup. Place them on opposite sides of the yoke and tighten down the vice. Heat both ears of the yoke with a torch (MAP gas handheld at the very least) and slowly apply more pressure until they start to move.

*Moving to Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain*

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member
josh05 is an unknown quantity at this point

u can also drill into the yoke were they injected the nylon u can c were it sticks out the n beat them w a hammer and socket 3/4 inch but ull destroy the socket thats how i did mine and ull need a 1 1/18 socket for the cap 2 go into

Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Drilling does not really do anything as that is just the hole where the nylon was injected. There is a complete ring of nylon which holds the cups in place. You can get it out by the method described above, but there are MUCH easier ways.