Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

universals

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Beginning Member
second97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default universals

so my rear u joints on my drive shaft are on there way out. when i replaced them on my 4cyl 2wd s10 pickup the guy at the parts store offered me 2 part numbers one was the oem replacement and the other was from a full size blazer that were a heavy duty ujoint and the cross reference showed that they would fit. so my question is does anyone know if the full size universals will fit on an s-series blazer?

this probably should have been in the drivetrain category but i figured some of you suspension geniuses would have a better idea.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: universals

Its all the same people... It is always better to post where it is appropriate. I will move it.

How old was that s10 pickup?

Really, with practically all aftermarket u-joints being grease-able, a little bit of maintenance once in awhile and you should never fail another one, HD or not.

(BTW, always include your vehicle information)

Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member

well one of the pickups i put the universal in was a 95' the other was an 00'. so i would assume the driveshaft dimensions are the same on a 99' jimmy?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, really, I do not see the need to throw something different in there. As I said, with grease-able u-joints, life (considering proper maintenance) should not be a problem. Choose a good brand and you should not have to worry.

Many of the name brands have a regular (non-grease-able) and a HD application. Information which can be found on any one of a number of parts store sites as well as individual manufacturers sites.

A quick look at the 534G application chart and you will see the cross over list. Any HD application for one will show up for all of the other applications.

But you could have found this same information using the same tools (google) I have...

Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member

thanks alot i appreciate the help

Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
bad350v8s10tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Get spicer u-joints from napa or elsewhere, they are the best. They used to be dana spicers, now its spicer

Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

A NAPA #PUJ 235 is their"off-road" U-joint andhas thegrease fitting located in the end of the trunnion bearing cap...no fifth hole in the middle for bearing lubrication. Thetype grease fitting used on the NAPA off-road U-joints requiresa needle adapter to your grease gun which are also available at NAPA.I believe the grease gun adapter is in the Dorman-Help line of tools.If you and yourvehicle is greased at a commercial facility, take the grease gun adapter with you and loan it to them because they probably don't have one.

The grease fitting in the end of the trunnionavoids a grease zerk in the middle of the U-joint and the fifth hole which weakens the U-joint and gives it a place to break. The last time I broke a standard aftermarket U-joint, it was busted in the middle where the fifth hole for the zerk fitting is located.

Dana Spicer does not make U-joints for NAPA anymore. Starting in 2002, NAPA U-joints are made by GMB-Japan (Gobal Management Business) The GMB part no. 215-3105. NAPA had to purchase fromGMB becausethe American companies are either going "belly-up" or having their products made off-shore and repackaging them in containers marked"Packaged in U.S.A."

Besides being made in Japan, NAPA "off-road" U-joints a high quality products.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Duntov
If you and yourvehicle is greased at a commercial facility, take the grease gun adapter with you and loan it to them because they probably don't have one. PS, i dont think i want or need a grease job personaly, my rig might though.lol! [8D]

Dana Spicer does not make U-joints for NAPA anymore. No dana is gone, its spicer now they make great ball joints too

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to a comercial oil change facility, YOUwill get a grease job but your vehicle won't.

Thegrease monkeys down in the grease pit are afraid to grease cars.So few vehicles have grease fittings, they don't know how to do it properly. The manager of one oil change and grease facilityeven told me that my 91 Blazer did not have any grease fittings.I said: "Oh, is that right?" I did not arguewith him because a long time ago I learned to"Never argue with a fool."

The grease monkeysare reluctantto grease vehicles because it theydonot control the amount ofgrease pressure they apply to the fitting, and they can accidentally blow out the rubber boots.They had rather just lie to you and make you think they greased your car rather than risk damaging it.I would wager thatmy 91 Blazer has not been greased but one or two times in 18 years although it has been through those commercial lube centers hundreds of times since my daughter purchased it new in 1991.Since shegaveme the Blazer, I now do it myselfwith a hand operated grease gun when I change the oil. It is a dark and lonely job when you arelaying on your back but someone has gotta to do it.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Oh i know and i do it myself also, i change my oil too since the grease monkeys are great at stripping oil drain plugs and charging you $7 for a new one [:@]

Quick Reply: universals