Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

URGENT! Front Diff removal question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
97tdblaze is on a distinguished road
Default URGENT! Front Diff removal question.

I have taken the whole front end of the blazer completely apart. There is one bolt that is inside the frame rail for the upper support for the front differential. I need to know how to remove this bolt. When i pulled the other differential at the junk yard i had to take the upper control arm off to get the bolt out and then disconnect the steering gear bolts to drop the diff. Does anyone know the correct procedure for removing this bolt?

size and type of wrench or just the right procedure would be a huge relief!

Please Help!! I am four days into this and am getting tired of riding the bus!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Bahh!!

Never mind i just took both of the control arms off and loosened the steering gear..... dropped out pretty easy just like at the junk yard.

This is a HUGE project for that is used to working on the older models!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

WOW!

i've never had to remove any suspension or steering components to drop a front diff before.

since you never stated in your OP what year your truck was, i'm guessing it's a '97 form your screen name?

make sure you get an alignment done when you get everything bolted back together.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Default diff out and apart.

so part of the reason i took the diff out was because the noises it was making and the movement of the drivers side axle assembly at the case. After taking the spider gears out of the diff case i found that there is a good amount of movement in the spider gear that the driver side axle shaft goes in (5mm or so). Is this normal? i am going to take it to a diff shop and see what they say. any info would be great as i will have to ride my bike some ways with the spider gear assembly in a backpack.

I might not have gone through the correct procedure for the removal of the diff but i could not figure out how to get it out with out removing driver side control arms and disconnecting the steering gear. if anyone has experience with these diffs ANY info would be good to have.

thanks.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
bvanfossen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97tdblaze
so part of the reason i took the diff out was because the noises it was making and the movement of the drivers side axle assembly at the case. After taking the spider gears out of the diff case i found that there is a good amount of movement in the spider gear that the driver side axle shaft goes in (5mm or so). Is this normal? i am going to take it to a diff shop and see what they say. any info would be great as i will have to ride my bike some ways with the spider gear assembly in a backpack.

thanks.
I know this is a very very old thread- but if you're still around can you explain how you made out please

Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

I get at that bolt through the hole that is provided. I like how they make a hole there but leave it small just to tease you. If you don't wanna take the control arm off just take a torch and enlarge that hole . Makes it so much easier. I also break off that lower bracket for the diff and just weld It on after reinstalling the diff