Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

URGENT!! Need help on removing hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default URGENT!! Need help on removing hub assembly

Hey I am trying to replace upper and lower ball joints on my 98 Blazer LS 4x4. I have everyhting off except the hub assembly and the disc brake shield. I have tried hitting it with hammers/back side of an axe. I have gotten 2 pullers from Autozone (a 2 ton and a 5 ton 3 claw puller) and still cant get the hub to break loose from the steering knuckle. If anyone can answer and give some advice on what might work better very fast, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I no longer need advice, the second I posted this, the thing came off when my dad was pounding on it. Thanks anyhow. Swartlkk if you want to delete this you can, thanks.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: URGENT!! Need help on removing hub assembly

Glad you got it off.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks but I still havent got the ball joints off, not sure how they are going to go tomorrow, but I called it quits for today. If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to get them off that would be great.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

get them off the control arms is that were your having issues???? also can you post a pic of what your looking at that would help tremendiously

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 PM

At first I was having issues getting the hub off, then that problem got solved, now I am just trying to figure out what the pickle fork is supposed to do to help remove the balljoints from the upper/lower control arms and the steering knukle. Sorry no pics, just trying to figure out how to approach it. Everything I have read (multiple balljoint how-to things and my haynes manual) doesn't really explain the process well. They just say stick the fork in there and remove the joint.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I know you called it quits for the night, and I'm sure you've tried a lot of times to get the dang things apart. The pickle fork serves as a wedge. After you've driven the pointed end between ball joint and knuckle, keep hammering it in, allowing the wedge to do the work. If that's not cuttin' it, maybe a bigger fork with a steeper angle will do the trick. Keep us posted because I'd really like to save some cash but have been hesitant to do this myself for this reason. I'm worried it's just too much for me to tackle.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically in a nutshell, you're going to have to wrestle with it and give it hell. The book didn't go into detail because all bets are off when it comes to yanking ball joints off. You do it any way you can.You can't hurt anything, ya know?

Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

when looking at the ball joint its rivited to the control arm your going to need to drill out the rivets or grind them off without destroying the control arm then if you can get the bolt in style ball joint bolt them back in or if there the pressed in ones you have to have them pressed in at a shop it shouldn't cost that much to have them pressed in

Old 10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I have pickle forks and use them as a last resort.
What I recommend is to lift the control arm and put a piece of wood block as a shim between the frame and upper control arm.
Remove the ball joint nuts.
Take a hammer (1 lb ball peen) and sharply smack the steering knuckle and that should release the ball joint.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/C1CD21D4BE03461696D479B4CE46FAC8.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Mapoftazifosho is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I discovered this not too long ago and it has been a blessing.

http://www.algrovetoolsupply.com/cgi...?item=KTI81996

Quick Reply: URGENT!! Need help on removing hub assembly