Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

vibration in drive line

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough
Default vibration in drive line

just to bring every one who reads this up to speed, i installed a BDS 5" lift, all is good but i have a vibration in the drive line from start to around 10 mph.. just returned from the drive line shop, they found a bent rear drive shaft, and the front rear u joint was also bad, so new drive shaft and $358 later i still have a vibration from start to around 10 mph, they checked the pinion angle, and was fine, they sugested that i take out the front drive shaft and see if the vibration is still there, well 4 bolts and out came the front drive shaft, drove around the block, and still a vibration, any ideas ???
im starting to think its the zr2 rear i installed.. but could wheel bearings cause this ?

Last edited by okiedoak20; 03-26-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Unplug the vacuum line at the axle actuator under the battery tray, & plug the line with a bolt, golf tee, etc. Drive it and see if there's any difference.

Have you had the front end aligned by a front end shop, (not a tire store).

Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have you checked your wheels for balance?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

yes new tires, new balance, drive shaft new and balanced, removed the front drive shaft,and still vibrates... and the 4x4 works very well, vibration started after lift was installed, BUT, biggest change was the rear axle, ZR2 and i no longer have the 7.5" rear that came out of it, otherwise i would put that back in..

im no expert but im guessing somehow it is in the rear axle, it feels like i need some sort of traction bar or something, in my mind im picturing the pinion of the axle moving up and down at a fast rate starting out then stops once momentum catches up, is that even possible?
But at any speed its smooth as silk..
Jared, no vibration with wheels prior to lift,
and captainhook, love the Sig...
Oh, it dont viberate slowing down

Last edited by okiedoak20; 03-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you put the rear stabilizer link back on?
that may help calm the rear axle down a little...never heard of vibration coming from not having stabilizer links though (shot in the dark)

if its vibrating and you left off does it stop vibrating right away?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM

yes, im going to double check now, im pretty sure it wont viberate, with no torque applied, be right back

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM

ok with no torque applied, just free rolling, no vibration at all. i have a street with a incline so i can get up to a pretty good clip just rolling..
also i doubled checked the gap betwwen the slip yoke to the transfer case, there is about 1.5" betwwn the yoke and the rubber seal of the transfer case

Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM

just a update, rear axle is starting to make a low pitch moan from time to time, so im thinking A bearing is starting to fail, just not sure how to dianose which bearing,i may take it back to the place that sold me a new drive shaft, maybe they will discount the cost a bit

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

When you installed the rear end did you by any chance do a carrier swap or ring and pinion gear swap.If so your gear lash or pinion travel maybe wrong and need shims for adjustment.To chack your wheel bear raise the side up that has the suspected bad bearing and seeif you can move the wheel by seeing if there is any up or down movement or ply.Also check for excessive play from side to side.With the rear end making a moaning sound it does sound like a bad bearing.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 PM

1sttime, ok i will give that a shot, the rear i installed came from a guy in N.C., he was going to install it in his Blazer but sold it and had the rear sitting around, i was interested in it because it already had 3.73 gears
the only thing mentioned about the rear was somthing about the bearing size, he sayed that it was a 2003 zr2 rear and the bearing size is different, well i have been doing some searching and cant find a different bearing size, we will see

Quick Reply: vibration in drive line