Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Warthogdriver? CV boot clamp question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
ferret13sj is on a distinguished road
Default Warthogdriver? CV boot clamp question

Warthogdriver, I found your post about using a large hose clamp when your boot slipped off, and other posts telling people not to replace the whole axle if it's just a boot issue. Didn't want to butt in on other threads, so I'm hoping you'll see this and reply.

Two years ago a mechanic told me I needed to replace my right front axle because the boot was starting to "pull back". I never really knew what he meant and never did the repair since there was no noise. Now last week (two years later) another mechanic told me the same thing, boot pulling back, replace the whole axle. Well this time I got under there to look and it turns out the inner band was gone. The rubber was very clean where the band was, like it had just come off. Again, no noise from the joint and with a price quote of $220, I started searching online for other options.

Found your posts and went with the large hose clamp idea. Pulled the boot back as far as possible and squooshed most of a pack of CV grease directly into the joint. It wasn't dry in there but it did take most of the new grease. There wasn't any fresh grease flung around outside either, just 11 years of old grime as far as I could tell, so I'm assuming most of the old grease was inside the boot.

I did buy the "real" replacement CV clamps too, but there's no room in there to really tighten those down, and they just didn't look like they'd hold that well to me. So when I returned those clamps to the parts store today, I mentioned I ended up going with a large hose clamp. The guy there was appalled and said that was a very bad idea (was probably thinking "silly woman" ). He claims the regular clamp, since it's heavier on one side from the screw, will throw everything out of balance and cause damage.

So I have two questions for you since you've been running your's this way for awhile. Is there really anything in there that's going to get thrown off balance by the hose clamp? I figure worst case scenario, I end up eventually having to replace the whole axle, but is there anything else that can be damaged if it is off balance from the clamp? The other question is about clearance. The screw on the clamp does have clearance on the top, I believe that's the frame up there. And from what I can tell, there should be no movement up and down at that point, so it should hold clearance at any speed. Is that correct? (Sorry I'm rusty on doing my own repairs, and I'm a female over 40, so cut me some slack on the terminology, LOL!)

I would appreciate any advice or input on this. Just don't want to damage something else that will end up costing me more in the long run. Oh and this is all stock equipment on a 2000 Jimmy 4WD...forgot to mention that above!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have ran mine for a couple years like that with no apparent damage. i have put roughly 40,000 miles on that set up no issues yet.
i got the info from another site s10crewcab.net i think.
as far as i can tell i have no reason to think that the clamp has ever come in contact with anything, and has never came loose.

now your parts store mechanic may be right about the weight issue, given there is more weight on the adjustment screw itself, the clamp you were going to put on though also has an imbalance, while not as much i dont think they are balanced at all.

now others may weigh in on this...i hope so actually...other views are always helpful.

with all that being said, be aware that i am not certified in mechanics...i learned what i know from having to make things work when they are needed. for instance i once had a round spring clip (probably wrong name) quick release on a fuel line snap doing a filter change...so i took an adjustable clamp apart and cut it half length wise, then height wise and bent the "legs" that i got from the cutting in half and made a "spring clip"....its been on there for couple years..(95 f150)

i look at repairs this way...can it be done...and is it safe.

i hope this helps you out, sorry for being long winded...just wanted you to know a little about the person who's advice your taking.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Don't be bashful wart. You seem to pioneer the things and ways to put things on your truck that all of us 4door guys want to do, but can't figure out on our own.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for checking in! When the guy told me it would wear things out quicker, I just said it's a temporary fix to make him happy. If you've been running your's that long, then I'm assuming there's no problem with balance. I could see if it was on the far end out by the wheel, there could be a balance problem, maybe....

My Jimmy has over 160,000 on it now, so I'm definitely not as particular about doing everything the "correct" way. Just want to keep it running safely, and not go broke in the process!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yup, my thoughts exactly...sometimes there is more then one way to do something.
glad i could help ya out.
as far as balance i dont think so. i have had my ride at several shops for alignments and such and never once have i been told..."wow, that is gonna wreck something..." i mostly get a double take and thats about it.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Starting Member

I read on other forums that the regular hose clamps can cut into the boot, being too wide for the groove, and with the sharp edges. I started worrying about mine and whether I had tightened it too much. The clamp they were suggesting is narrower with rolled smooth edges, and embossed ridges instead of "holes" through the band for the adjustment screw. Of course I could only find it online and I wanted to get this done today. Finally called a local ATV shop and they let me go through their assortment of used clamps. I found 2 of the smaller size and put them together to make one big clamp. Now it fits in the original boot groove, and the rolled edges are nice. Plus I am well balanced with a screw on each side, LOL!

If anyone does want to order some of these clamps in the right size, there's a seller on ebay with a good price. $8.80 total with shipping for a lot of 5. Search Norma Torro embossed hose clamps if interested. I'm tempted to buy them just in case I was to loose another band!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Starting Member

Oops, meant to ask one more question. When I pulled my boot back to pack the grease, I noticed there was a band of rubber still on the metal housing....the boot slides over it. Is that the way the axle is made, or has my boot truly come apart, leaving the inner layer on the housing? The rubber does seem to be stuck to the housing like it's made that way, but I don't know. Sorry again for my terminology, hope you get what I mean!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran

i think i get what your saying...a pic would help for sure.
i wouldnt want to guess and steer ya wrong.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Starting Member

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. The only way for me to get a picture is to take the clamps off and pull the boot back. At this point, I think I'll just leave it since it seems to be holding well.

High on my list is new tires along with an alignment. I'm sure the front end needs some work first. The tires on right side are choppy and worn on the outer edges. Tires on left are worn more on the inner edges. The right lower ball joint has alot of movement, planning on having that replaced this weekend. Everything else seems pretty tight. Been trying to find what other parts are involved that I can check and fix while this is being done, so it's all ready for new tires/alignment. I don't want to get to the tire shop and have them tell me they can't do an alignment because of parts needing replaced.

Read one post that said might as well do the tie rods along with ball joints. Any opinions on what else I can check/fix that might affect the alignment? It doesn't pull to either side, just the tire wear that I'm going on here. And no I was not good about regular rotation, but these cheap tires have lasted about 50,000 miles so I think I did pretty good on them!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 AM
BF Veteran

you could check both upper and lower ball joints.
stabilizer links up front
tie rods both sides inner and outer.
if you steering seems loose idler and pitman arm.

by then you will have an almost completely new front end.

glad all is going well for you.
good mileage on those tires though...thats surprising for no rotation.

Quick Reply: Warthogdriver? CV boot clamp question