Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

what's the best brand/model of idler arm that money can buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
dryden3 is on a distinguished road
Default what's the best brand/model of idler arm that money can buy?

Does anyone know the best brand/model of Idler Arm that money can buy that won't wear out so fast? I have a 1999 Blazer 4x4 that I replaced the Idler Arm on 9,000 miles ago with a cheap-o Advance Auto Parts Idler Arm, and now it's getting loose again (flops up/down as the RF Wheel is turned by hand). I'm willing to spend a few extra $$ on one that's made better and won't wear out so fast.

Thanks!
John

Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

I had the same problem with duralast parts from autozone... I wore out a duralast idler in 3 months. I returned it under warranty and bought a Moog. I dont know if its the best but its been almost a year now and its still fine. Ive heard good things about Power Performance Motorsports stuff, maybe someone else has some experience with them? I just bought their pit-man arm but haven't installed it yet.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I trust moog parts but for off roading there may a more rugged beefier Idler arm.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

isn't much for beffier. power performance I believe sells the best one
http://www.powerperformancemotorspor...&categoryId=18
assuming it's 4wd....

Moog is pretty good, my first idle was a cheapo, lasted a week, if that...2nd was a moog, lasted 3 month, 3rd was ac-delco from wrecker with minimum play(within a few weeks it was worse then the el-cheepo).. 4th was a moog thanks to warentee (finally did pitman arm, went with moog) that was 3 weeks ago and don't notice much play yet.... when my warantee is up I am buying the one in the link if no one has designed a stronger one by then...

Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Default Just ordered Power Performance part# K6251T

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just ordered the idler arm from them and I'll let you know how well it works after I put some miles on it. I like the sound of their description:

"EXTREME DUTY Idler arm features an enhanced bearing design for a longer lifespan in extreme duty applications"

I hope it it really does last longer!

Last edited by dryden3; 12-14-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: had part# wrong
Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Default Didn't work

I installed that Power Performance idler arm about a year ago. After 6 months it was starting to wear out, but I put more grease into it anyway. A couple of weeks ago, it was all worn out; it would "rock" up/down on its pivot point when I moved the wheel. So...don't waste your money on the Power Performance idler arm. I still had the receipt for the cheap-o O'Reily's one with a lifetime guarantee, so I exchanged it for that. Guess I'll change out the idler arm once every two oil changes!!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
trucktom is on a distinguished road

moog ok but the best oe chassis is dana/spicer. also sold by napa in there premium line of napa chassis parts. trust me there is no equal it will last nearly forever and if does fail its life time. nothing will last if its not greased and i know the inner joint is tuff to get too but gota. there cheaper master ride is baw brand not bad stuff especially for the price last a while and fit well i use alot of there idler arms in the gms and do well, cheap 20 bucks premium 65

Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Default dana/spicer idler arm from Napa

I'll give one a try next time. Thanks!