Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel fell OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007 | 12:32 AM
ChicagoBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel fell OFF!

So i was driving to school on monday and i had just put new brakes on saturday. I have knock-off rims, which means I am at high risk for having a wheel fall off. Well... MY WHOLE TIRE AND RIM CAME OFF when i was going about 60 MPH on the interstate. I fell to the ground and pulled to the side asap. I went and retrieved my rim about a mile down the road, but i cant seem to find my center cap to put on the rim. As you know, without this cap the rim is useless. So i am looking for a new set of caps but i cant find the same ones anywhere online! This is what they look like.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5510/A620DDFBC05D43F79CDD3CBD578ABD2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2007 | 02:02 AM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wheel fell OFF!

Probably ought to go to the manufacturer for a replacement, but ytou might also get lucky on Ebay or with a web search. You WILL need to know the manufacturer.

And then I'd get rid of those rims and install some that are much, much safer. there's no point in risking your life with those. Were it me, I'd find some stock rims and run those if needed.

Old 03-23-2007 | 03:15 AM

well when u drop 600 bucks on rims u dont just throw them out, and also , would i find the brand inside the rim? i bought them from someone used and have no idea what brand they are

Old 03-23-2007 | 11:58 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would it just fall off? Who did your brakes? I would be paying a visit to whoever put the tire on. Any damage done?

Old 03-23-2007 | 12:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Aftermarket rims dont mean they are going to fall off the truck. There are millions of cars and trucks out there with aftermarket rims on them... and if this was the case, no one would buy them and you'd see a lot of flying rims all the time. That doesnt make sense. Maybe a bad hub bearing? Or someone didn't put your tire back on right after that brake job. something just sounds off there...

Old 03-23-2007 | 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between the 95% of most aftermarket rims and the rims in question here is that these are knock-offs. IE no lug nuts, they use a large threaded hub that bolts on where a normal wheel would. Then there is a large nut that secures the wheel. If this nut was improperly torqued or not checked for proper torque down the road, this exact thing can happen.

Old 03-23-2007 | 02:26 PM

I already know that it was improperly tightened and i know why it fell off. I am asking if anyone knows where i can find the brand name of the rim or find some new center caps.

Oh and my brakes were done by myself and a friend of mine, i guess we slipped up lol

Old 03-23-2007 | 08:27 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really care if you spent $600 on wheels, your life is worth more. This is one of my problems with aftermarket equipment - how do you get replacement parts or find out important information like the torque spec for the nut that holds those wheels on? Hopefully you do have the correct torque specs so that you can make sure that critical nut is correctly torqued from now on.

My best suggestion is to visit online wheel/tire sites that offer lots of wheel options and find a match to your rims, then follow up with phone calls to see if you can find the right part. Chances are that if the wheels are still in production, you can find the part. If they were a limited-time offering, you're probably out of luck.

Side comment:

When I sell a used vehicle, I solve this problem by creating complete wiring diagrams for any and all electrical modifications I've made, and I provide all the purchase documents, receipts and manuals for every piece of accessory equipment on the car. If I don't get ALL this when I buy a car, I either don't buy it or I remove ALL of it and return the car to stock. Since I don't trust anyones modifications but mine, this really isn't a problem. The last thing in the world I want is a vehicle that has a butchered electrical system or mechanical or other mods that aren't 100% documented and make sense to me.

Old 03-23-2007 | 11:31 PM
Starting Member
Mbastet99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not trying to sound funny, but did you check the inside of one of the other caps to see if the name of the manufacturer or a model number was stamped inside? If it's not on the actual rim, maybe it's on the cap?

My husband said to check with Dayton, he thought they looked like something they would manufacture.

Old 03-24-2007 | 07:28 PM
scottyk is an unknown quantity at this point

If the rim was secured by one big lug nut, at least a cotter pin should have been put in to prevent the wheel from coming off.If theres no way to avoid this, a wheel of that nature is designed for smooth back road crusin

Quick Reply: Wheel fell OFF!