Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel play and steering shaft coupler, your expert opinions, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:56 AM
Beginning Member
meatchief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel play and steering shaft coupler, your expert opinions, please

I am new to this forum and thank everyone in advance for your advice.
I have very excessive wheel play on an '03 Blazer that I recently purchased- it is something that was present and did not just start happening, and is not getting any worse- been that way for the 2 mo that I have owned the vehicle.Essentially from 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock position is mostly all slop, but when I watch the wheels they do turn with the slightest movement of the wheel, butnot very much. 58K miles, never been in a wreck according to carfaxreport and also visual inspection shows no signs of anyfront repair or damage. I did find very small amount of play in idler arm, which I replaced, but that did not resolve the issue (I did not expect it to). Pitman arm seems solid. I am think that issue may be steering box, but also possibly the steering shaft coupler in the box. I do not know exactly how the shaft connects to the steering box, tried to find out and there is a plastic collar around bottom of shaft where it enters the steering box. Before I start pulling things apart, can anyone advise their thoughts, and also what type of connector is on the end of the shaft, and could it be that? Since the slop is uneven (11-2, more right-sided), I would think that if it were a loose connector it would be even on both sides, though? I can get a remanufacture Cardone steering box for $185, should I replace the box? Tie rods, ball joints, and bearings are all solid, issue would be either box or shaft coupler?

Thank-you very much for eveyone's expertise.
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
Sorry folks, I should have clarified myself better- "wheel play" should read "steering wheel play", not to be confused with the actual wheels of the vehicle. Slop is in the steering wheel.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Beginning Member
meatchief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wheel play and steering shaft coupler, your expert opinions, please

Sorry folks, I should have clarified myself better- "wheel play" should read "steering wheel play", not to be confused with the actual wheels of the vehicle. Slop is in the steering wheel.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The main source of slop in the steering wheel, where you can move the wheel with no appreciable change in the direction the vehicle is heading, is due to a worn rag joint. The rag joint will be inside the black plastic cover. You need to remove the plastic cover (annoying little thing) and watch the rag joint as someone turns the steering wheel.

As far as replacing the rag joint, it is fairly straight forward, but can be time consuming. The dealer is the only place I have found that will have this part though. If you can find the right materials (heavy belt with nylon reinforcing), you can make up a new "rag" for the joint as it really consists of two flanges which are bolted at different locations around the center "rag".

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
1991whiteoutblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle - I don't have an FSM for my truck yet...So I will ask this: How does that plastic cover come off??

Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that the FSM covers this very well, but it is split. There are two spring catches on the side of it that need to be released and then there is a section that clips around one of the power steering hoses. I had to take mine off to replace the power steering lines and even with other things out of the way it was loads of fun! You may have to remove the upper and lower fan shroud to get a better look at it, or maybe come at it from underneath. I had the whole driver front of the engine (a/c compressor, power steering pump, and the mounting bracket) off along with the fan shroud when I removed mine.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 PM
stilbo is on a distinguished road

FYI :

My 2000 Blazer w/ 92,000 miles developed about two inches of free play at the steering wheel. I searched this forum and came up with a lot of references to the rag joint. I popped the plastic cover and the rag joint looked fine. I checked the clamping bolt and it was tight. Then I reached in and turned the steering wheel (I have long arms) while looking at the rag joint and shaft and checked the LH wheel for movement and realized that the good old fashioned Saginaw steering box pinion shaft was out of adjustment. I worked at a Pontiac dealer eons ago and these gear boxes have changed very little in the last thirty-five years.

Adjusting. Remove the air filter box and intake hose. Center front wheels, place an allen wrench into the pinion adjusting screw on top of the gear box to hold scew position while loosening the locknut. Loosen lock nut. Run screw down (in or clockwise) 1/4 turn and check free play at steering wheel. If necessary, turn another 1/4 turn down while holding the lock nut with the wrench. In most cases 1/2 turn is usually all you need to eliminate free play. Tighten locknut while holding the screw in newly adjusted position.

DO NOT over adjust !!!!! The gearbox will not have enough lash and you will loose the return to center function at the steering wheel !!!

Test drive after the 1/4 - 1/2 turn (MAX) and tightening locknut and replace air intake assembly to check for free play and return to center function.

Takes about 1/2 hour to an hour.

stilbo......

Last edited by stilbo; 03-13-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Beginning Member
50andFlyFishing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stilbo ; steering box

Will this also work for a 2005 4x4 blazer . My rag joint is also fine , but i have been told
that there is no adjustment in a steering box out of a 2005 blazer....!!!

50and

Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Beginning Member
50andFlyFishing is an unknown quantity at this point

tried it and it worked have less than 1" play in steering wheel . stilbo thank you ..

50and

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I just ordered that part a few days ago according to some searching on s-10forum that will fit. When it arrives if it does indeed fit I will post up a few pictures on removal and installing the new one. Not sure how much the dealer charges for the part but for $10 it is worth a try.

Check your local autoparts store for Dorman(in Canada it's also called Motormite) part number #31002 - steering coupler disc. My parts store only had a larger one so I opted to order online.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I would opt to replace a faulty rag joint with a Flaming River u-joint. I haven't searched on here but I'm sure it has been mentioned before.

Quick Reply: Wheel play and steering shaft coupler, your expert opinions, please