Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

X-FER case question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
fouronereason is on a distinguished road
Default X-FER case question

I have a 74 K5 and the guy told me it was full time 4wd, do full time 4wd x-fer cases require lock in/out hubs, I have lock in/out hubs on the front. If it is full time I wanna replace it for part time, will any x-fer bolt up to the tranny and will the drive shafts work. I am not sure what kind of tranny it has, I havent seen it yet cuz I am in Iraq. Thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The NP203 in stock form is a fulltime 4wd transfer case. If lockout hubs are installed without the part time conversion being done to the transfer case, if the hubs are unlocked, the truck will not go anywhere when in LOW or HIGH, but will move in LOW LOCK and HIGH LOCK.

Most were converted for part time operation though which basically makes the two positions in HIGH and LOW the same because the rear axle is always locked in to the input shaft where prior to the conversion, there was a center differential.

To change transfer cases, you would have to change the driveshafts. The NP205 was a part time transfer case that was also offered and some were fixed rear yokes while others had slip-yoke style rear output. The NP203 had a fixed output. Their overall lengths are different as well.

The only real benefit from putting in a P/T kit is to reduce the fuel consumption. But a fulltime 4wd truck works VERY nicely and there is nothing to engage when unlocked 4wd doesn't get you through something. You only have to pull it into the LOCK position and go!