Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

xtreme front end overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Beginning Member
charlietuna is on a distinguished road
Default xtreme front end overhaul

newbie!! hello fellas, i need help desperately. i just bought a 02 blazer extreme 120 000 new blue metallic paint job and very straight for 2500. but....the deal ends there. its been badly neglected by a kid, and im running out of money,the truck is now popping and steering all over the place, tightened box but only helped a little. my ahole mechanic all of a sudden forgot how much ive spent over the years and treated me like a turd, and a "its so bad i wont even drive it or give a estimate" attitude..lol really? im off to dunbar suspension tomarrow. ive only had this truck a week and im scared to drive it, some bushings are completley gone, a 2002? was this bam margera's ride? i new id need to dump money in it but now im wondering if its worth it. i still need a starter and new ignition cylinder, but runs strong. all that being said...(does anyone have a clue what a total front end overhaul will cost?) its for my girl and shes not to happy with me right now. " happy wife means a happy life" anyways any advice would be great thx

Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road

If you've got more time than money be sure to search ebay. I did mine this summer and was able to get all four balljoints and all four tierod ends for $45 brand new, but I had to wait on shipping. No duty or taxes though. Shipping was almost another $20. Still not a bad deal compared to what my local part store wanted.

Here's another good lead.
http://worldsuspension.com/

Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 02 xtreme also and its nowheres near as bad as what your describing about yours, it def sounds like it was used in a junkyard movie.. I would part that puppy out and make sum $ back on it and find a new one. I just found a bunch on Ebay and Craigslist the other day.. Look for ones in fla like i did, already had tinted windows and ice cold a/c, I got mine for 7800.00 with 54,000 on it in 2007. it now has 102,000 . There are def cleaner ones out there..Good luck with it hope ya can make some $ back on it..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

thx guys..im still torn, its in good condition besides the neglect. ill try to post some pics soon. u could tell the kid had some wheels on it which probably abused the pitman arm first then one by one the rest went, simple neglect, i can do starter myself (silinoid sticks once and a while), the ignition tho..i dont want to,posi rear end solid, tranny is tight, engine strong and quiet, probably 4500 after all said and done. with 120 000 there going for that in AZ. i feel sorry for the poor girl, lol i had a 91 s-15 that i toar apart from back to front but these are not as simple. and i never had to do front end work, but i here its easy if u have the tools. i wont get it to dunbar spring till mon.there supposed to be the sh#t and the guy seems sympathetic to my cause and says he does these all the time. but ill post what they find. thx

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Beginning Member
Angry

went to dunbar today. guy was very good. unfortionately the whole front end needed everything but the lower a arm bushings. he had a buddy from another shop look at it too. the left wheel had 2 to 3 inches of play both ways...he showd me..my jaw dropped...they both said it was a miracle it didnt collapse and they in a combined 57 years never seen a 2002 this bad. i assure it rode fine except alot of steering play apon test drive. he had tiny tires on front so i couldnt get my head under it. he had hand packed globs of greece and wd 40 to shaft me as he watched my 8 month pregnant wife drive it off. its taking every ounce of strenghth i have to not drive over there and kick his $$#%% door in! big ones to sell that from ur own house. im trmbling as i write this. dunbar refered me to a buddy one block away cuz he could do it cheaper and they were very solid also. 1500 for all of it. i will not sell it and kill someone so i ponied it up. byby baby money. but boohoo its byer beware and i understand that but my wife and baby girl coulda been killed!! they did a complete check of truck and said it should be solid now. so in short..lol 1558 for a complete frontend overhaul on a blazer xtreme in az. i am now married to this thing and i will sit in it when im old and yell random sh#t at passers by. becarefull out there people.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 AM
lostbob44 is on a distinguished road

Same problem. And my front wheels hop at slow, sharp turns

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member

i still have a wind/grind coming from front. i think its a wheel bearing. found new hubs for 62 dollars on ebay. gonna do myself. i hope this takes care of it, but i also found a cut abs sensor and a damaged stud so im fixing anyways. little worried so cheap but parts are from michigan. if that matters? if u can jack up your front end and grab the front tire and wiggle it. just to make sure your not in danger of loosing anything, not sure how much play it should have but not inches. mines better now but im sure the suspension being left like that destroyed the bearings. also read if theres lot of play it could be bearings, or tie rods or etc..lol why i dont like doing it. oh and congrats on ride of the month 54!! clean blazer.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Sounds like Dearborn Axle. They're likely remanufactured assemblies, but with the way the stock units wear there's no reason in my opinion to ever spend anymore than you did. They get full bearings, new abs sensors, spine chasing, new studs etc, so the savings really comes from not having the machine the forgings again. Good stuff, I think you'll find your hum will disappear. This is a VERY common issue with these things, and it's a pretty simple job to replace them. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Edit - I should mention that you'll need a 1/2 drive 36mm socket if you don't already have one.

Last edited by b1heqh54; 10-31-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Beginning Member

i saw a video and it looked simple. starter should be in tomarrow. does anyone know if you really have to remove the manifold to access or would the right tools get it done? i think it is deerbourne or whatever its called. feel better with some feedback on hubs being so cheap.thx posted a pic in the garage. still trying to figure out this new site. but so far i like it.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Manifold? Are we still talking about a wheel hub here?

Edit - oops - ya, starter - dang crazy pills again

Quick Reply: xtreme front end overhaul