Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

gear for towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 AM
nbwebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gear for towing

gunna be pullin a small/light uhaul trailer about 100 miles this weekend.... i have a 94 4x4 4.3....... some people have said to lock it into 3rd gear and avoid overdrive when pulling a trailer...... let me know what you think or know

Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: gear for towing

Well it depends on how much weight you're pulling, the amount of grade going to and from, the shape of your engine. My general way to test is to take a test run with the trailer attached and see if the engine strains alot or if it shifts between 3rd and 4th alot. If either are present shift down to 3rd to keep your trans cool and less overworked.

Not sure which size of the small uhauls that you are getting but if the weight loadedis more than a flatbed with a compleATV's or sleds on it then you are better off in 3rd gear.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

When I pulled a 6x12 u haul trailer with all my earthly possesions...(and the inside of the truck was full) two boats on the roof and a bike....almost 500 miles twice.....I honestly found my truck did really good in your normal drive gear....there were only a few situations that I down shifted.....long hills...where my truck was really struggling.....one tip is to slow down a little....if your truck is starting to lag a little....don't try and accelerate hard to compensate.....(over heats your tranny) you can feel when you need to shift to a lower gear.....just my experience....I have to say my engine did run a little hotter while towing.....

Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Paddle_grl
I have to say my engine did run a little hotter while towing.....
I didn't know this until recently that if you have an aftermarket exhaust system, there will be a lot less heat inside the engine compartment. It also extends the service life of the rubber hoses and stuff.

I have an aftermarket aluminum coated trans cooler also and I've pulled a 21' Carolina Skiff (probably weighs about 3000lbs.) and I had no problem in running in overdrive. If you do a lot of pulling,high capacitytrans coolers are a good thing to have.

oh, and mbwebb, 100 miles isn't very far to go to worry about it. I pull the boat about 200 miles when I'm going to the beach. I didn't have a prob with it even with the stock trans cooler

Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

yes for sure if you are doing a lot of towing..deffinately a trannie cooler....but a once or twice rental..no biggie....you truck can do it

Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
nbwebb is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks blazer friends.... the move went smooth.... truck did well.......... love these trucks! great for about anything i need........ now gas needs to go down to about $1.20... paid $3.29 here in central IL today.... what about you all???...

Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM
bigjsp is an unknown quantity at this point

Convertor needs to stay locked up as much as possible, more important than the gear, IMO

watch the tach

Old 05-16-2007, 02:16 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: nbwebb

what about you all???...
$3.37 for the mid grade.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

$3.39 for regular and $3.48 for midgrade, and that was from last friday not sure if it has gone up since, trying to not drive so much.

-Lenny

Old 06-10-2007, 06:48 AM
chevys rule is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats this Feat I have on my truck then (tow haul) Would I still need to get in d3 or what

Quick Reply: gear for towing