Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Street N Strip (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/)
-   -   hahahaahaha I went to the track today!!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/hahahaahaha-i-went-track-today-5044/)

tommyd 08-23-2006 12:18 AM

RE: hahahaahaha I went to the track today!!!

Yup right around 1500 is the prime spot here. I played around with it a bit tonight you can get it all the way up to 2400 RPMs but 1500 is about prime. Really throws you back with the tourqe when you launch it. 2400 just burns rubber and is hard on your tranny. Now I know and I won't launch her again untill and if she ever see's the track;)

splat 01-15-2007 01:34 AM

My reaction times are always between .005-.10 in my PGT. How was your 60'?

2000BlazerSS 02-24-2007 12:54 AM

Splat, they don't know any better, their calling 60's R/T, although from the sound of it it just may BE their Reaction time! ROTFLMAO.

Your times are GREATLY affected by your 20's the diameter reduced your effective rear gear ratio. 17's are about right for what you did.

If your tempted to race it again:
1) Put it in DRIVE!, not OD, putting it in OD strains the tranny in a bad way.
2) Leave at 15-1700 RPM, any more isn't going to help.
3) If it's stock or nearly stock just let it shift for itself, GM engineers aren't stupid, it will shift at 5000 just about the optimum shift point.

I've run 2, a 2002 Xtreme stock and a 2000. Both 60's around 2.50 and did 11.50 in the 1/8th. The 2000 has a cheap cold air with cone filter, 180 degree thermostat and Flowmaster 40 with 2 and a half pipes (stock is 2 and a 1/4). the best it's done is 11.20 @ 63 cool engine cool air (night).

If you think your thrown back in the seat launching one of these try any car with a V8 engine sometime!. WOW!. My wifes 454 Monte Carlo race car does 1.60 shorts, my 85 Vette does 1.75's. My Blazer runs 60's the same as my tow vehicle. a decent 60 on a typical muscle car is around 2.00

*combining consecutive posts*

Oh, it's a black 2000 Blazer 2x2 SS, runs around the Buffalo area in the summer. License plate is "FOOTBRKR", for a reason.

*EDIT: swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the Edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

swartlkk 02-24-2007 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000BlazerSS
putting it in OD strains the tranny in a bad way.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this?

2000BlazerSS 02-24-2007 01:49 AM

The circuits in a 200r4, 700r4 and 460's when in overdrive are different than if left in drive. That's not me that's GM and any tranny rebuilder who knows his stuff. The same thing goes if your towing, they RECOMMEND that you tow in drive NOT OD because it's easier on the internals. One of the magazines this month or last did a big article on the OD transmissions and mentions it too. It has to do with what circuits are open and what planatary's are in operation.
PS: The transmissions can be modified to strengthen this so OD isn't a weak link, but it costs $$$$ and is un-needed for our cars and MOST modified ones, you can get everything you need "racing" in the first 3 gears. Look at the rpm when you got thru the traps in the 1/4 mile, if it's under 5500 RPM you have no need for that 4th shift.
PPS: Don't beat on a GM OD when in OD, again, don'tbelieveme, talk to a tranny shop about what planatary's are in use in OD, it's a weak part of the tranny.

*combining consecutive posts*

Oh, I race a 1985 Corvette that has 3.42's and runs low 13's in the 1/4. It's got 50,000 miles on the STOCK 700r4. It's spent it's entire life being driven back and forth to the drag strip. It's always been raced in drive, NEVER OD. And it's never been apart...........................yet. A tranny man can tell more about this.

*EDIT: swartlkk* Combining consecutive posts. Please use the Edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

swartlkk 02-24-2007 02:42 AM

Hmm... Well, if you never get into 4th gear, then this will not be a problem. I can see when/if the trans gets to a sufficient enough speed for the PCM to command it to shift into 4th, however, the position of the gear selector doesn't change how the transmission shifts at WOT in other gears...

I cannot seem to find any decisive answer as to when 4th gear engages at WOT when in OD and I don't go fast enough in my Bravada to find this out, but the other gears are unaffected, strength wise, by where the gear selector is. In the 1/4 mile, you may experience premature 4th gear shifts which are a bad thing simply from a lost time standpoint and the fact that the 4th gear shift at WOT is forced at a lower RPM than the other gears.

In my Bonneville I race in 3rd simply because I lose so much time when the darn thing decides to shift into 4th gear at around 85mph if left in OD, not for fear of breaking anything. I lose around 0.4 seconds if left in OD. Only problem with that is, if I get that car to trap higher than 98mph sometime in the future, I need to have the 3rd gear speed limiter removed. Right now it will top out at only 98mph in 3rd.

*EDIT* - fixing stupid spelling errors...

lastcoupe 02-24-2007 07:54 PM

The circuits in a 200r4, 700r4 and 460's when in overdrive are different than if left in drive. That's not me that's GM and any tranny rebuilder who knows his stuff. The same thing goes if your towing, they RECOMMEND that you tow in drive NOT OD because it's easier on the internals. One of the magazines this month or last did a big article on the OD transmissions and mentions it too. It has to do with what circuits are open and what planatary's are in operation.
The manual shift shaft hasnothing to do with the the internal operation of any gearsets, with the exception of preventing a 4th gear shift of course. You have been misinformed my friend. I will say thatdriving in OD all the timewill reduce the lifespan of the transmission due to exessive heat in OD. I only use OD when I am drivingabove 55 mph, but most OD transmissions won't shift into 4th until around 55 mph anyway.

5.7Lblazer 03-13-2007 04:16 PM

2.45 reaction is terrible ................. but i have a blazer with a carburated 350 after i gett the timing checked i will take it to the track it is gonna be a beast at the strip

BLK85 03-23-2007 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: blazerxtreme1

my reaction time was a 2.45 I dont know if thats good but it was my first time. its an auto so i just stompped it
2.45 reaction time is horrible. What were you doing, takeing a nap? The closer to 0 the better.

tkf5651 06-14-2008 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: blazerxtreme1

my reaction time was a 2.45 I dont know if thats good ... its an auto so i just stompped it
I realize this is an old thread, but this is possibly the funniest thing I have seen on the computer. Ever.