Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Nitrous = the ****!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:46 AM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nitrous = the ****!

If you guys are familiar w/ s10forum.com many people have resorted to bottle fed fun- There are guys running 125 shot on stock 4.3L motor (not stock fuel system)- and are fine- some are running advanced timing on a 100 shot !!!! - The best #'s so far are 299whp and 402 w ft. lbs and runs 12.5 in the 1/4 on stock block / transmission (shift kit / servos/ trans cooler/ .490 valve)- For me i shaved 1.5 seconds off on the 75 flywheel hp shot- THE 4.3L loves the bottle - it can handle alot of it due to low compression ratio (9:1)- and nitrous makes about double the torque as it does HP. The 4.3L already makes alot of torque- so this means you have a torque monster on your hands.

DONT BE SCARED OF NITROUS-
IF U USE YOUR HEAD, GET QUALITY PARTS, INSTALL IT CORRECTLY, AND USE SOME SAFEGUARDS YOU CAN HAVE YEARS OF BOTTLE FED FUN-

( Parts with " * " before them arent required but are nice to have)

HERES WHAT YOU NEED FOR A SAFE AND EFFECTIVE 55 /120HP -(some guys are running 200 shot on totally built block!!!)

A good base kit- I recommend Cold fusion or Nitrous express (cold fusion has lifetime warranty)
v6 single fogger EFI wet kit- (comes with bottle / solenoids / lines / microswitch / switchs/ wiring for complete install)

A purge (dyno tune makes a quality unit)

*A automated bottle heater (dynotune makes a fully automated one) Also if you bottle pressure isnt between 900psi and 1100psi your not getting your full shot of nitrous - so if you spray a 50 shot at 500psi you maybe are getting a 25 to 30hp shot (BOOO!)

*A Automated bottle opener- (Cold fusion makes a cost effective one)

Nitrous pressure guage- (dynotune makes good ones)( or you can just get a bottle pressure guage from ZEX ($50))

Cold spark plugs- AC DELCO R42LTS (nappa)

*High performance oil- Royal purple 10w30 (my oil pressure never fluctuates when its hot out anymore meaning i got better protection and lubrication)

*Fuel pressure guage- (dynotune once again)

A NOS fuel pressure safety switch- from my local speed shop

*A Dynotune A/F ratio nitrous shut off switch

A MSD DIGITAL RPM WINDOW SWITCH - THIS IS REQUIRED WHEN RUNNING automatic transmission (doesnt let you spray through shift)

WEBSITES FOR PRODUCTS LISTED ABOVE-
Dynotunenitrous.com
Zex.com
msdignition.com
http://www.coldfusionnitrous.com/
nitrousexpress.com

Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nitrous = the ****!

Yes, when done right, it is a great power adder. The problem is that, quite often, it isn't done right and things go to hell in a hand-basket real quick! Alittle detonation when on the bottle and you can kiss your pistons goodbye!

I also wouldn't recommend running this on a higher mileage engine unless you have owned it since it was a lower mileage engine and know for sure that it was well taken care of. Word of mouth from the original owner is not the way to go with it. Anyone will whisper sweet nothings in your ear to get you to buy the vehicle! You want to be sure that the first time you hit the happy gas button won't be the last time you drive your vehicle for afew weeks!

Be cautions when starting to dabble in nitrous oxide. Start low and work your way up. On vehicles with weak fuel systems (like the 4.3L), start off with a wet system and you won't regret it. That way you can supplement the fuel supply with the proper jetting on the fuel side of the system.

It is also advisable to put a nitrous gate in that will only allow activation above a certain rpm and disable it right before your transmission shifts. This is to save the tranny more than the motor.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

See my sig...It's true, anyone can run nitrous to go fast...but I have more respect for someone who can build a block to do that. Sorry, I don't mean to bash the bottle, but where I come from, everyone and their brother use it. Takes all the fun out of building a car...you have all the speed, but none of the discipline to know how to use it.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Patrick has disabled reputation

while nitrous can be a quick fix, i would rather spend my money on something that doesnt go away so quickly.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto. all throttle no bottle.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:51 PM
spib is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rather have a hot rod run in the 12's and tell some one that it has a 450 hp 406 then to have a low 11 second ride and say well its a 406 on the bottle. If you want to go fast spend some money and build a bad *** motor. I myself would never run nitrous, ALL MOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is what it runs ALL MOTOR!!!!!