Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

04 Blazer ZR2 - trying to fit 33x12.50x15 - lift it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:11 PM
KnightmareCS is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 04 Blazer ZR2 - trying to fit 33x12.50x15 - lift it?

Hey guys,

Need some help here.

It's an 04 ZR2 that had stock 31x10.5x15 tires.
I put on some aftermarket wheels and tires: 15x7.5 (-12 offset) (3.8 inch BSM).

Suspension is stock, though it may have aftermarket rear shackles.
I took off the front lower bumper/valence and trimmed some of the upper metal bumper. I also trimmed some of the front flarette, right in front of the door.

I am rubbing the rear tires, at the back of tire, on the flarette.
I am rubbing the front tires on tight turns. They lock up turning both directions.

I want to go wheeling with this thing.
I can drive around now and watch out for sharp turns. The rears rub when bouncing on potholes or bumps.

My questions are:
1. Will a 2" body lift be enough to not have much issues off-roading? I'm looking at the PA 2" lift kit.
2. How much of the front fender can realistically be trimmed before it starts messing with the door?
3. Am I missing something?

Last edited by KnightmareCS; 01-15-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you want to off road, you will need to put a 5-6" lift. You should have gotten much closer to 6" back space, too.

I'm not sure if anyone still make a kit for that much lift, so you might want to look at doing a SFA/SAS instead, particularly for going off road.

I have a 2" body lift, aftermarket lift shackles on the rear and tweaked tbars up front. I have 15X8's with 5.5" backspace. I can fit 33's and run them all day long, as long as I don't flex the suspension. I've done a bit of trimming front and rear. Off road with this set up and 33's I still rub in the back, so I went with 32's and have had no problems with them on or off road.

Also, looking at the pic, it does look like you the saggy *** syndrome very common on the ZR's. A set of 2" lift shackles would help there to get things even with the front end.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:15 PM

Not any crazy off-road, just trail driving/mudding/rock crawling; but the entry level of all those. I've been out with it on the stock 31s and that was enough terrain capable. I'd just like to get taller with these better tires.

I really want to avoid 5-6" lift - body or suspension. Definitely will not do SFA/SAS.

If it is too involved, I'd put the stockers on an wheel it away. Perhaps 32's would be enough to not rub and still be able to tuck when flexed.

I think I have 2" lift shackles? Do these look like what I have? If it is, is there any way I can level the squat?

Old 01-16-2021, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You definitely do not have the stock shackles on there right now. If they are 2" lift shackles then the PO tweaked the tbars too much. To level it out you can just bring the tbars down. 32's might work out okay being as you have already done a bit of trimming, but that 3.5" of backspace will probably still hurt you on turning.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 PM

I think you're right in regards to the tbar crank. If that's the case, I'll leave it alone, the look doesn't bother me.
I'll weigh my options.
Thanks!