Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

click in front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default click in front end

hi guys, my problem is when i make a really sharp turn(U-turn) I get a single click from passenger side tire, does it everytime, just a single click and thats it.

any idea's? c'mon Kyle, your a wealth of knowledge

Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: click in front end

Is it a metalic 'click' or is it more of a clunk?... Does it only happening when turning one direction (left or right)? Can you describe it in more detail? If you jack up the front end and turn the wheel lock to lock, does it make the same noise? If it does, then I'd be more inclined to look at the travel of the steering linkage for anything hanging down. If not, it is possible that it is a ball joint, tierod end, or pitman/idler arm issue. Tierod ends can be checked by grabbing the wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and pulling it side to side while trying to look at the tierod end. If you see the steering knuckle move without the tierod end moving, it's getting close to being shot. You can also grab ahold of the tierod end and move it around. If you can feel play, it's bad.

If it were me and I had some extra time, I'd take it to a Midas or equivalent shop and have them do a free inspection of the steering and suspension, given the noises you have. They'll tell you everything and then some that needs addressing. Take it with a grain of salt, but it will help to narrow things down.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:21 PM
BF Veteran

It only happens on right turns, id have to say its more of a click, i cannot feel it, only hear it. and im sure i have to be moving for it to make the sound, if im just idleing and i crank it back and forth it dosent make a sound.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it click repeatedly and increase in frequency as speeds increase? Or does it only click once?

Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran

sorry for the exremely lare reply, i just rememberd this thread!
nah kyle, it only clicks once for every sharp right turn. I'm pretty sure its note the cv shaft.
any other thoughts?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 PM
lilRedwagon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same kind of noise. I noticed it after I had the passenger side ball joints replaced. I brought it to a shop to get an alighnment and they told me that i needed ball joints replaced on the driver side and also tie rod ends and pitman and idler arm. I will try to replace it asap and will let you know what happens.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran

the sound mysteriously dissapeared........

Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

Mine makes the clicking/popping noise in my left front wheel well area every time I turn the wheel all the way to the right.... it happens wether i'm moving or not and it is only a sound and it's just a single click when I turn the wheel.. It does not happen when I turn the wheel back straight... I cannot feel it at all, so I am anxious to find out what it is. . . .

Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Starting Member
BlackBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry for digging up an old thread but i am having the same problem and i was wondering if anybody did fix the noise and if so how much did it cost. mine only clicks (or clunks) on left turns andit will only do it once per turn

Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

hey blackblaze check your ball joints and other steering components i had to replace my ball joints because they caused a clunk in the front.

Quick Reply: click in front end