Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

cv shaft swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cv shaft swap?

alright I have a question I have yet to see asked.

Unlike alot of people I have seen on forums I happen to like independant front suspension, and would even like to eventually swap the rear end to independant. But enough bs. I want to lift my truck in the future (no time soon just want to be ready) but I don't want to relocate my front diff. to keep cleared of high centering.

I want to know if anybody can tell me if it is possible to swap out front cv shafts to get better angles and would last longer. I like prerunners and would like to get some pretty good travel out of my suspension and not kill my joints. I wouldn't mind them being a little longer along with my arms.

I can weld and I do have a habit of using stock parts from other vehicles. I was thinking maybe some shafts from a silverado or something bigger. maybe a rear end out of a vette for the back if I could get the angle out of them. I will spend some cash I know but I also dont want to pay somebody $14000 either

And as a side question has anybody flared out the rear of a blazer? I can get prerunner fenders for the front and s10s just cut the supports and pull out the sides of the bed. Is that possible with a blazer and has anybody done it.

I have a 2000 ZR2 blazer 2dr.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: cv shaft swap?

i think if you get tortion keys, if thats what you are talking about to lift the front, most kits come with longer a arms to correct the balljoints
but im almost sure that if you got some longer cv's it would correct the problem with them also
thats the only way i know to lift independent from suspensions
correct me if i am wrong
hope i helped
-stevo

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

yes that is the same idea but I am pretty sure I will have to build it myself. even if I use the keys I have heard it kills ball joints and cv joints faster and I would like to get more than 2-3" of lift I want more like 4-6" and a little wider too.

but thanks for the suggestion. all answers are appreciated and if it doesnt help me it could help somebody else so post any ideas you have.

I dont want a solid axle before it gets mentioned thats too easy

Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

About your only option is to go wider, i.e. custom control arms both top and bottom.

As far as CV shaft replacements go, you would need to measure the associated splines and see if you can find another application meeting those specs. Either that, or you could cut and extend the center section of your current CV shafts. Extend them with some DOM tubing welded solid with at least 4 plug welds per end and you should never have a problem with them breaking.

With longer control arms, the angles automatically get better. The longer arms will also add lift. But one other less desirable side affect is that they will increase the torsional requirement on the torsion bars. As you increase the lower control arm length, specifically where the weight load is placed, the resultant moment required to counter act that load increases. This may drive you to needing heavier torsion bars as well.

This would be an interesting project for sure. With enough time, money, experience, and ingenuity, there is no limit to what you can accomplish.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Starting Member

thanks very helpful

I was planning on a little of the lift coming out of going wider.

But as for the torsion bars I was thinking some coil over shocks might help them out so their not getting as stressed. I am not sure though I have never had coil overs.

I was also thinking if I used a silverado front diff I could get the longer shafts and them might get stressed about as much as if I did a torsion crank but since their built for heavier trucks maybe I wouldnt be stressing them so much. not sure I dont know much about full size trucks like if they even are IFS or solid. or maybe even a suburban since s10 blazer suspension is pretty much the same as s10 but heavier.

keep the ideas coming I am needing a little kick starter on my brain storming.