Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Easiest way to lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easiest way to lift?

Hello I would like to lift my 2000 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4x4 about 2-3 inches. Now whats the easiest way of doing this? I was thinking of just buying larger shocks, so that they lift the suv a few more inches. Will this work? Will this also create for dealignment? When I bought this blazer from the dealer I noticed it had air bag suspension in the back that could be inflated with a compressor. If im not mistaken, isnt that for towing heavy loads? If so, there was no hitch on the blazer so why would a person go through all that work to install air shocks?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member
Mudskipper74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Easiest way to lift?

To lift your Blazer you will have to remove the stock springs in the front and rear and install new springs designed to lift your vehicle. There might be more involved on your particular vehicle than only that. If your Blazer is equipped with GM's IFS (independent front suspension) there is much more involved and it gets quite costly. Once your vehicle is lifted you will need to install longer shocks, possibly a drop pitman arm to re-align you steering linkage and also longer brake lines. It all depends on how high you go. Shorter lifts may not require a drop pitman arm or extended brake lines. Installing longer shocks alone will not lift your vehicle though. Yes the airbags installed on the rear of the vehicle are designed to prevent rear end sag when towing trailers with heavy tongue weights, or whenever something heavy is placed in the rear of the vehicle. Hope that helps you out. Later.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Alright, thanks, sounds like it would be easier to just go with a 2 inch body lift. That way I can install larger tires, correct?

Old 11-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Beginning Member
Mudskipper74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it would be alot cheaper and much easier to use a body lift since you are needing only a couple inches. With a body lift an added benifit is you get to retain your factory ride quality since the suspension remains unchanged. When you use a suspension lift the vehicles ride quality is altered, sometimes radically. In other words there can be harmful side effects by altering suspension geometry. If you have the right amount of cash it can be done properly, but for only a couple inches a body lift is a safe and cost effective alternative to lift you truck. You should be able to install larger diameter tires, but I'm unsure how much larger with a two inch body lift. Give your local 4 wheel drive shop a call and check with them to be sure. You don't want to have your oversized tires rubbing on your trucks body or chassis cause you've gone to big with em. I've been there and done that and it ain't no fun.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

a 2 inch lift will accomodate 31" tires..... however, a body lift is not cheaper. . . a good 4x4 shop will install a 2 inch suspension for about $250...... so figure $250 labor + $550-$650 lift kit = $800-$900....... a 2 inch body lift is about $225 + Labor (the expensive part because it is alot more work) $650-$800 = $875-$1025. . . . . Trailblazers (a 4x4 place in Lexington, KY) actually reccomends suspension lifts over body lifts on newer trucks, because in most cases the suspension lift is cheaper to do if you are going to pay someone to do it. . . . . now if you have time and tools to do it yourself, the body lift is definitely cheaper. . . so do it yourself and save money..... if you have someone do it... you are looking at a minimum $550-$1025. . . . . . that doesnt include $400-$600 worth of tires and new rims($200-infinity) if you want them too. . . . a body lift is your best option on this truck for just 2 inches of lift though. all of the 2 inch suspension lift kits superlifts, rough country, etc.. crank your t-bars to the max putting your cv shafts at dangerously steep angles. . . . the rough country kit actually requires that you bend your tie rod ends to a certain angle (not safe). . . so safety wise, the body lift would be best. . . . the only reason I know this is because I have been researching lifting my blazer 2 inches for the past year and a half.... if I do it, I will be doing it myself with a body lift and keeping my 30x9.50 tires. . . the 31's still have a tendency to rub in places even with the lift..... just get a set of 30x9.50's and crank the front an inch or less to level the truck out... you really only gain 1/2" of clearance by adding the 31" tires...... IMO it isnt worth the money for 1/2"......

Old 11-23-2006, 03:01 PM

Hey thanks guys, you answered my questions wonderfully and really helped me out. Thanks.