Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

fan shroud trimming on body lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fan shroud trimming on body lift

What is the best way to modify the fan shroudwith a 2" body lift on an S10 blazer. I know it is a two piece. Can the two just beunbolted or is trimming of the lower half needed and if so how much. Can it be done while still on the truck or does it have to be removed. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
eslhockey92g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: fan shroud trimming on body lift

when i did my 97 blazer BL lift. It came with 4 longer bolts and 4 pices of pipe(shims) to split the 2 pieces and then bolt them back together with the longer bolts. then i just used zip ties to hold the bottom part of the shroud to the radiator

Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Hockey, how hard would you say it is to do the 2" BL. And was it worth it?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM

it wasnt that bad i did it my self in about 3-4 hours, was it worth? I think so it was a cheap way to clear 31's. Ive herd the the 2" suspension lift drive like crap b/c the shocks that come with them are bad and u only can put on one kind. Ive had mine on for about a year and no problems at. It drives fine. I do notice a bit more body roll. But i have orgianl swaybars and bushing. I wanna replace all them in the summer with aftermarket. that should help

Thats before

2" later

31x10.50's with the 2" body - To your orginal question" do you think its worth" This pic should justify my answer

Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey hockey, thanks a ton man. This has really set my mind to get a 2 inch body lift and just get some buddies and lift my truck one day when its nice out. Great pictures by the way. Also how would you judge your mechanical know how?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:29 PM

ive gone to tech school for small engine repair(ATV, dirtbikes) but i got all my know how from diving in and learing as i go. between here and Automotive Forums. ive learned alot by taking my time going slow. My buddy is going to UTI he usally is my buddy to call when i need help so we can usally do almost all minor work.With the body lift. I never did one before, but i looked around to see what people did and what problems they ran in to and went to work. make sure u use atleast 2 big floor jack to jack the body off the frame. And do one side first, not front to back. I herd u can bend the body doing front to back. the only other problem i ran in to was the NEG batt cable from the batt to the motor. The extension they gave me was worthless. i just made my own using a plate and drilled some holes and made my own extension. One thing to is use locktite. That didnt come with mine i had some and used it and if u do it make sure u retighten them after a day or so. I was able to get about a 1/4-1/2 on some of the body bolts. Good luck if you do it

Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Being an engineer and having attended many loctite seminars on application and use, the use of loctite on the initial installation will be completely negated by any change in position of the bolts after the loctite has cured (ie. re-torquing). Once the bonds are broken, the retaining strength of the loctite is gone.

Back to the original topic, here's the installation instruction sheet for a set of Energy Suspension body mount bushings (not a lift I know). It should give some idea of what is required, but not things like battery cables, fan shrouds, and the other things affected by the lift.