Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Has Anyone Attempted to "Trophy Truck" Their Blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010 | 05:20 PM
|
Beginning Member
Creed187 is on a distinguished road
Default Has Anyone Attempted to "Trophy Truck" Their Blazers?

Like the Title says, I was wondering if anyone has tried to "Trophy Truck" their Blazer? By this I mean modifying the suspension and/or drivetrain to withstand off-road driving at high speed. The new Ford F-150 Raptor is a prime example. Extended rear axle w/ softer springs and inverted internal bypass shocks. And an extended SLA front suspension with similar struts but they are coil over.

It would probably be a bit difficult, but I am thinking about removing the SLA/torsion bar suspension and creating a SLA/coil over suspension. With the inverted shocks and softer springs in the rear. Again using the Ford Raptor as a prime example.

If anyone has done something like this or knows about someone who has done this please let me know. It would be very valuable to me when designing this system.

And for you guys that are like me and think that slowly crawling over rocks is....well lame! And enjoy practicing your need for speed, well hopefully I can figure out a way to get these blazers up to 100mph off-road...(I have already had mine over 60mph offroad and have taken it slightly airborne with no windshield.lol)

Old 10-04-2010 | 10:33 PM
Beginning Member
v8colorado is on a distinguished road

we havent done it yet but my fiances 97 blazer will be a long travel dune hauler shes still driving it and im hoping to start cutting this winter...i got a motor,trans,tc, and dom tubing so far

Old 10-04-2010 | 10:40 PM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on building mine into a prerunner. Long travel will be pretty costly since no one makes a LT kit for 4x4 s10's. I know a guy that is going to help me figure something out. There is someone building a first gen 4x4 long travel kit, but he may not be done for a while.

Old 10-05-2010 | 12:25 AM
Beginning Member
v8colorado is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by degaine_designs
I'm planning on building mine into a prerunner. Long travel will be pretty costly since no one makes a LT kit for 4x4 s10's. I know a guy that is going to help me figure something out. There is someone building a first gen 4x4 long travel kit, but he may not be done for a while.
most likely everything will have to be hand built fabed i plane on fabbing everything roll cage 4 link,suspension cage,im gonna be cutting alot im sure

Old 10-05-2010 | 10:35 PM
|
Beginning Member
Creed187 is on a distinguished road

Im glad to hear that others are interested in this and have also thought about it. Even better is that according to your knowledge no one has done this. This will definitely take awhile to design and fabricate. I want to be confident that my system is going to hold up when I jump it several feet in the air at high speed. The biggest challenge that I believe I will be faced with is designing an upper and lower control arm and figuring out the geometry of the wheel/suspension w/ the appropriate drive axle angles as well as ball joint location. A difficult task but it can be done. And it will be much cooler than ever so common Jegs Magazine bolt-ons! Im thinkin about the Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawlers 15x10 3.75 bs. They look pretty mean and the bs will give the truck a wider stance. But of course the down fall of the effect the bs has on the unsprung weight. And for rubber, I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 31x10.5x15 and I love them. I am thinking of upgrading to 33x12.5x15. Which will raise the front and rear diff off of the ground, as well as add extra "cushioning" when landing a jump (from sidewall flex).