Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

How to level vehicle after adding add-a-leaf to rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 AM
DaleA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to level vehicle after adding add-a-leaf to rear axle

I have a 2000 blazer. The rear end has been sagging for a few years due to pulling trailers and the "premium ride" soft spring. I put a pair of Rough Country add-a-leafs on and it solved my problem with the back end sagging when pulling our 5000 lb horse trailer or speed boat. However, the ride is a bit stiffer, more truck like than before, but that's fine. I actually like the way it feels now more than before.My problem is that the rear is now about 2 or more inches higher than the front. How can I raise the front end to level my vehicle? I have heard about raising the torsion bars but that might cause a problem with cv joints and ball joints (just had them replaced at 98000 miles). any suggestions? even with trailer hooked up it still is higher in the back. I do like the way the add-a-leafs do their job though. Wish i had done this long ago. Installation was actually not too difficult. I looked at the torsion bar adjusting bolts and noticed that the pass side bolt was out about 1/2 inch farther than drivers side, but the measurement from the lip of the fender well to the ground is 32 inches with lt235/75 r15 light truck bridgestone tires. Any suggestions on how high I can raise the torsion bars without hurting cv joints or ball joints? This might be my only avenue to solve this dilema.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: How to level vehicle after adding add-a-leaf to rear axle

the torsion bars are your front suspension, so the only way to lift up the front end to match the back is with a tbar crank. Do some reading on here (search) and decide if the pros outweigh the cons.