Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

need some advice( Your would be greatly appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:50 AM
bigredchevyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need some advice( Your would be greatly appreciated)

I tried looking in the posts for this one, and I didn't see it here. So I am sorry if it was in here. Well my alinagment is pretty messed up. So I took it to a place called Quicklane, and they looked at it. They told me the problem was that all of my ball joints needed replaced, and then I needed a alinagment after that. My lower idler arm was also loose. I need to drive to work so will i mess anything up worse as long as i don't dog it? I ask that since the lower idler arm is loose. Well I don't know that much about cars but I did buy a Chilton's manual. I looked in there at the directions, and they seem pretty cut and clear. The shop was going to charge me around $850 to put all new ball joints(upper and lower) and a aliagment. I told the guy I would pass bc I just bought $407 Edelbrock headers to put in my blazer which make the blazer run like a champ now. So after that I went back to Elmendorf Air Force base and told the auto guys what had happened and they told me I could do this myself and save a ton of money.
So my questions are this:
Is it a pain to replace them?
I called Napa for pricing and they had premuim or value. The value being the cheapest.
Which one should I go with?
And finally could someone give me the time it might possibly take on installing them and the steps that are involved?
My blazer is a 1993 s-10 4wd automatic, two door.
The time for me is 4 hrs behind the east cost and I was planning on doing this Wed. So any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need some advice( Your would be greatly appreciated)

I also went to NAPA and I bought the premium ones. I also had to do the upper control arms.

What I did though, is I found a great mechanic that let me buy the parts myself and he only charged me labour, so I can't really say if it is an easy thing to do yourself.

My only advice is to get the premium joints instead of the cheaper ones...
He took about 2 hrs to do everything, not including the alignment.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

the problem is, if they havent been changed in the past then they are probably riveted in from the factory. then the rivets will either have to be ground or air chiseled off which is a pain. if they've been changed, then they are just bolted in.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy the premium and do them yourself.
The rivets can also be drilled out. I used a cold chisle to pop the rivet head off and then drilled out the rest.

Then take it too an alignment shop for the alignment, there like $50.