Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default popping noise

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a red 2000 blazer 4x4 2door. I like it a lot but I am having one issue with something. Whenever Im stopped at a light or something and have to make a right turn I hear something popping. It is like one pop and then it stops. I hear popping issues are quite common with blazers. I have listened carefully and it seems to be coming from the front left wheel on the drivers side when i turn right. I have no problems making left turns. I first thought CV's but if it was that shouldnt it be popping more than once?? I went to a chevy dealership and they said it was because of the metal stoppers that keep it from oversteering. I am having a tough time believing that though because it seems to happen even when the wheel is not turned all the way to the right. Does anybody out there have a clue on what it could be?? Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Beginning Member
tdannar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: popping noise

I just recently acquired a 1998 4X4 with 64000 miles and it is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Please let me know if you find the problem.

Terry

Old 08-08-2005, 03:38 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the bushings on your sway bar end links. My first suggestion would be to make a thorough visual inspection of the front suspension, checking all the bushings and whatnot. Make sure there's no metal rubbing metal.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member
tdannar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found the source of the pop in the front end of my Blazer!

My 98 4x4 was also making a "pop" when I took off from a stop and turned right; also when I slowed down and stopped it would also make a pop, but not quite as loud. It felt like I could feel it thruough the floor board on the drivers side. I checked the torsion bars and mounts, all seemed OK. Vehick has less than 70k miles so I did not suspect front end problems. While inspecting under the vehicle, I noticed that it did not seem to have been GREASED in a long time and the small boots at the ball joints and tie rod ends appeared to be empty. I broke out the trusty grease gun and greased all of the zerks that I could find. The inner tie rod ends could not be reached with my grease gun so I bought some 90 degree zerks and will no longer have an access problem. The lower joints took quite a lot of grease just to see the boot move. This has made a lot of difference. I am sure that I will have to replace the balljoints sooner than normal due to the lace of lubrication, but for now, the popping noise is GONE!

It appears that some of us may not think about greasing the front end of a vehicle since we are spoiled by having vehicles that do not have Zerks. Most of the vehicles (passenger) that I have owned, have had "lifetime" tie rod ends and ball joints that can not be greased, just replaced.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope your "pop" can be greased!

Old 08-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

You just reminded me...I have to get my ball joints greased next week!

Old 08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

my sway bar was making that noise so i had a mechanic check it out he said all the bushings are fine and i shouldnt worry but its still makes the noise and thats not cool with me so im gunna have someone else check it out

Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have that problem too, and I can feel it through the drivers side floor as well. It seems more like a "clunk" though. And it's when I'm turning (left) into a driveway or any sort of steeper incline. It doesn't do it on a flat surface. Think it's the same thing?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having that problem, too, on my '91 S-10 Blazer. I, too, can feel it through the floor with my left foot. It happens when turning, mainly left, at slow speeds, and also when speeding up or slowing down, or stopping. I have had 3 different mechanics check the front suspension and also the U-joints, and they found nothing wrong. And of course, it wouldn't do it for them. And funny thing is, it's pretty much stopped doing it! I've had the car since March, and have noticed it intermittently all that time until about the last month or so. So, I plan to take it in for an oil change and lube pretty soon, and will have them check everything again. But I'd sure love to know what is or was causing that!

Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

That is soo typical that it won't do it when you take it in. I hate that, end up looking like an idiot. That is EXACTLY what happened to me. It almost feels like something broke when it happens. Let me know if you find anything out. I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions-I really don't know if theirs are the same problem though. Worth a try...

Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I don't have a pop. I got this squick. I just changed my springs about two months ago. It started doing it shortly later but only on the driver side. I have taken it all apart three times since then and keep getting the same result. My bushings and lube points are all fine. If I have someone bounce the truck while I look around I can feel movement from the upper A frame nut (just the front not the back) and nowhere else. Any ideas on that one.

Quick Reply: popping noise