Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Question to owner on lifted trucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road
Default Question to owner on lifted trucks!!

Hey i have a 96 Chevy blazer 4x4,
I'm thinking on lifting it......i took it to a shop to
see how much it would cost and gave me this

6" Super lift suspension system (6" in front 5" in back)
kit $2460.00
labor $720.00
exhaust mod $100.00
Alignment $65.00
and another $80.00 for i don't know what
so around $3500
Is that a good price?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

HOLY CRAP!

Okay, I'm gonna give you some advice, you don't have to take it though.

Number 1, 6 inches is WAY more than you need for a suspension lift

Number 2, I believe that any sort of large Suspension lift should be done after a Solid Axle Swap.

Number 3, I suggest a combo of Body and Suspension lift. Like a 2 inch Body and 2 inch Suspension. With maybe a 1inch Shackle lift and maybe some T-Bar crank.

This Jimmy has the aforementioned setup and it looks bad ***. I don't suggest going that big on the tires though... I'm not sure what size they are but I'm guessing 33 MTs at least. I'm sure 33 ATs will work without having to cut the fender like this guy eventually did.

As for price, if you do this yourself which is more than manageable, it would probably cost right around 1000. If you have a shop do it the price will shoot up a lot.

Last edited by ChevyBlazerChick; 11-11-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

unfortunately that shop price sounds about right.
the suspension lift price is a bit high though. mine was 1600.00

that extra 80 is prob for rear sway links and shims maybe to correct drive line angle.

thats why i did my own.
i agree with some of what chevyblazerchick posted.
i did the susp lift because i did not have the time or materials to do a solid axle swap.
i did opt for the 5 susp lift and body lift.
but def do a body lift with the sus lift to maximize the potential.
i know i am glad i did...i netted about 9" of lift.
5" susp
2" body
2" shackle / t-bar crank.

and lovin it everyday.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Wow Warthog... I definitely did not know you had that much lift. Yeah... maybe you should go with more than a 2inch Suspension lift. I didn't realize that y'all had to lift a TON to get some decent clearance.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

my ride next to my brothers stock zr2

yup, little taller

Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

and dont forget the price of bigger tires and possibly different rims. i was looking into lifts years ago and couldnt believe how much money they are. i did my solid axle swap for about 1200, i made everything myself and had the parts laying around. BUT if you were to buy and do the bolt on stuff youd probably still be ahead on prices.

i see alot of people running 33s with the ifs without breakage but i was breaking cvjoints basically everytime i turned the wheel in 4x4. straight it was fine

Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

Hey BlazerChick,
English is not my primary language i didn't understand all the terms you used though. I'm used to 1" off the ground cars. This is my first truck. What exactly is a body lift? so a 6" is way to much of a lift? it don't sound as much lol. Also with a lift, do you have to modify the brakes? i feel weird you being a hyna know more about this than me lol no offense.

warthog,
9" lift wow that's how i want my blazer to look. Saw your pictures and off-topic i have the same fenders flares can you send me a pic on how you put the one that goes on the door on the back fender the second piece.
Did you use rivets?? I got mine at a Junke. and i want to know how before i start drilling holes everywhere you know.

Yeah that's true. Lucky though i already got some rims and tires don't really know what they are extreme terrain something like that almost brand new but don't fit they are about 6" bigger than the tires i got on
Originally Posted by abig84
and dont forget the price of bigger tires and possibly different rims. i was looking into lifts years ago and couldnt believe how much money they are. i did my solid axle swap for about 1200, i made everything myself and had the parts laying around. BUT if you were to buy and do the bolt on stuff youd probably still be ahead on prices.

i see alot of people running 33s with the ifs without breakage but i was breaking cvjoints basically everytime i turned the wheel in 4x4. straight it was fine

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-13-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Alrighty, I'll give you some visuals of look at.

This is a Body Lift Kit

These blocks go in between the Body and the Frame. It makes a little extra room for clearing larger tires. And helps maximize your lift potential.

You will not have to modify your brakes. You probably will, however, have to lengthen your brake lines. But if you do the Body lift yourself, and then have the Shop do the suspension lift they will lengthen everything for you.

I definitely think you should go with the same setup as Warthog. 5 inches of Suspension should do fine

This is a Shackle lift, It basically does the same thing a body lift does, but it goes between the frame and the leaf springs. And I believe can only be done on the rear

The T-Bar crank lift the front of the vehicle up Here's a write-up on everything you need to know for it

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-27765/page12/

And don't feel weird about not knowing as much as a chick lol. I've learned most of these things from being here and reading. Plus having to work on my truck myself helped a lot too.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran

here is how i did the flares...

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-4-door-57919/

should answer most questions...if not ask them in that thread..i will do my best to help.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member
justinbrown1993 is on a distinguished road

what kind of tires are those on that jimmy? im gonna do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Question to owner on lifted trucks!!