Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Seized Shackle Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Popeye is on a distinguished road
Default Seized Shackle Bolts

I'm doing a 2" shackle install on my 98 blazer, and have found that the bolts are seized in the bushings. What are some of the methods used to remove the old bushings from the frame and spring access to a cutting torch is difficult.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Maybe try soaking it with some PB Blaster.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the party
Just about everyone's shackle bolts are seized. They are a real PITA to get out too. It's going to take a while, so I hope you have patience.

Put a torch to it. Heat it up and try beating it out that way. If you have an impact gun that helps too. The best way is probably heat it, beat the crap out of it and repeat over and over until its out. You can try using some sort of liquid wrench or penetrator like PB Blaster, anything helps it along.
I've heard of people spending hours trying to get those damn bolts out. And you can be fairly certain they won't be useable after either..so plan to have new bolts for it.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Popeye is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guess ill learn patience!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i had to knock the **** out of mine.
then chewed away at the rubber portion. for the metal sleeve i found that if you VERY CAREFULLY take a sawzaw and cut the metal sleeve at the the third or quarter portions you can then take and pry it out in pieces....worked great for me.

took me all day to do mine.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
TRX
Beginning Member
TRX is on a distinguished road

My driver side went smoothly. The passenger side however went south real fast. I hammered, impacted, soaked with 1 can of WD40, then went with the hard stuff, PB Blaster.I finally got the shackle frame bolt out, but the spring shackle decided to give a last stand.

I worked on that bolt for 10 hours..I finally just borrowed my brothers torches and burned that evil bolt out.

Guess it was time for new bushings anyway, lol.

Last edited by TRX; 04-04-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i just cut the ends of the bolts with a grinder, then used a pully puller to drive the bushing and bolt out. took me about 3hrs to do the whole lift

Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

If you just soak it down with penetrant, put a large socket over the head of the bolt and put the biggest "C" clamp you can find on the other end of the bolt. Tighten it down like "smoke tight and a quarter turn" and leave it overnight it'll pop loose. It doesn't have to move much. If your clamp is laying on the floor the next morning you will know you are successful. Have done this many times.
Of course if you're in a hurry like everyone seems to be nowdays there's nothing like a lot of heat and an impact. A lot of heat means it's glowing at least a dull red. Even a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch will give you enough heat to get out about anything.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I was going to say lots of heat and a little penetrating oil. I had to take my lower seatbelt bracket off this weekend and it was rusted tight under the truck, a little penetrating oil, left it sitting for about 5-10 minutes and then I applied a little heat and she worked loose.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

I did this about a month or so ago. Somewhere I detailed it.

If I had it to do over I'd got new bushings beforehand, cut the bolt on both sides (cutoff tool, sawzall, etc) and been done with it.

I used PB blaster, an air hammer to loosen things, then a puller to push the bolt through. Took about 2.5-3hrs total for both sides. PITB, but there have been worse things.

Quick Reply: Seized Shackle Bolts