Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Suspension or Body Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Unit83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suspension or Body Lift?

Looking at lifting my 2000 4dr. Blazer LT 2". I dont know a whole lot about lift kits, so what would the best route for me to go.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Suspension or Body Lift?

Really depends on the budget and what you want to get out of it.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

If you want better ride quality go with a 2" bodylift and 31" tires which would give you a total of 3"bodylift and 1" frame lift.

The only 2" lift is to get either a rear add-a-leaf or 2"shackles and then crank the front torison bars 1-1.5". You won't be able to go much higher than 1.5" and most dont recomend it, especially if its your daily driver. By cranking the Torsion bars you increase the angle on you CV shafts, which increases the wear on them and both upper and lower front ball joints. You can fit 31" tires with this lift also which will give you a total Body/frame lift of 3" in the rear and 2.5" in the front (with 31" tires).

You can also get 1.25" and 1.5" rear shackles and crank the torsion bars anywhere between .5" to 1.5". Even only cranking the torsion bars .5" will increase wear on the front end suspension components but not much more than stock. You could therefore do a combination of Bodylift and T-bar/shackles/add-a-leaf lift. Giving you between 1" to 3" of extra frame height and 3"to 5" of body height.

By going the routes above you will be looking at for just the lift components between $80 (just shackles or add-a-leaf) and $300 (both the bodylift and shackles/add-a-leaf) plus tires and alignment costs, and eventually worn front end components.

Otherwise you could go with a 5-6" suspension lift but that costs alot (~$1800 plus installation) and looks awesome but rides a lot different and requires lots of suspension/frame work. But with this you can fit 33" tires which would give you a total of 7-8" of frame lift.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i would go with lennyblazer's idea's and i want to add that when you lift it to make sure you understand you get what you pay for if you go the cheap way and risk serious wear on all the suspension components it will cost you big but if you go with a kit that lennyblazer talked about its alot better because it will save your chassis components alot better then the cheap way.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Are the body lift kits that give you polyurethane spacers still relying on adjusting the t-bar to acheieve the front end lift? I was thinking a body lift like that would be a easy and low cost way to get some extra ride height, but I definitely don't want to put extra wear on my DD.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

body lifts have nothing to do with suspension components, only adjusting your torsion bars will affect it. To my knowledge shackles are fine and dont increase wear in the rear, if you need some extra height back there along with your bodylift.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't know anything about suspension, but can you put blocks on the front to raise it or do you have to adjust the t-bars?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

tbars is the only (simple) way for the front

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

So when I put a 2inch body lift on my blazer and I go to raise the t-bars in the front what will I have to modify in order for it to raise correctly?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont have to modify anything to crank the torsion bars, you just take wight off the front suspension and turn a bolt. there is a tutorial on this forum somewhere i believe.

Quick Reply: Suspension or Body Lift?