Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Suspension and brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suspension and brakes.

Ok, so yesterday i took my truck 2 the mechanic because it was making some clicking sounds everytime that i would turn the wheel all the way. Also, i felt it was time i did a brake job on the truck because i had never changed them since i bought the truck in Oct. of last year, and idk if the previous owner ever changed them. My mechanic told me that those sounds were the ball joints, the pitman arm, and the idler arm. I work at an auto parts store, so i went crazy and used the discount 2 my advantage. I bought all 4 ball joints, the idler arm, the pitman arm, brand new rotors, drums, brake shoes, brake pads, calipers, and a brake hardware kit. The truck is currently at my mechanic, and i will be getting it tomorrow. My main concern is about a squeaking sound that the truck makes every single time it goes over a bump, or i step out of the truck. When i go over a speed bump, or any holes in the road, it squeaks just like an old bed. Also, i have noticed that as soon as i park the truck and get out of it, and the truck goes up a little, it squeaks too. My mechanic said that it might go away when i replace the ball joints. What do u guys think it is?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Suspension and brakes.

If you ball joints were not greased regularly, the old grease can dry up and cause squeaking. This is especially true if the ball joints go bad.

Good luck with the repair and make sure that an alignment is done after all of the components are replaced.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, i got everything done already. The brakes are a lot better, and most of the sounds have gone away. The thing is that that squeaking noise when goin over a bump still happens. And now, since the idler and pitman arms were both replaced, the truck is harder to steer. It is not as responsive now. My friend told me that it's probably because they're new parts. Also, the mechanic told me that a wheel alignment might fix the problem. The steering isn't as freely and responsive as it was with the old parts. What do u guys think the problem is?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's likely that some fo the bushings in the front suspension have worn and cause the squeeking. I had the same problem, I sprayed them with a little rem oil and the problem has since been fixed. Most likly it will be the busings on the sway bar.