Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

sway bars...

Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
matt9589 is on a distinguished road
Default sway bars...

who on here is running without swaybars?? Im thinking im going to do a SAS here come spring and would like o ditch the swaybars. Hows handling like? Anyone with a SAS and no swaybars wanna chime in......
I do have quick disconnects for the front so that's nice for now. Anyone come up with the genius idea of rear disconnects yet!?!?!?!

Last edited by matt9589; 02-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Handling, Crappy

Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by newguy
Handling, Crappy
ya, i kinda figured that. If I can come up with a rear ''quick'' disconnect ill be in business. I do A LOT of highway driving so i guess swaybars should stay. plus, i just got off the phone with my inspection place and they said they are required....So now the question here is REAR QUICK DISCONNECTS????

Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Is the rear one required in your area too? I believe most if not all S10 pickups came without a rear sway bar. The ZR2 came with a track bar in the rear, but my brother's S10 doesn't have anything at all. I've read about a few people on here ditching the rear sway bar all together, without any significant change to driving behaviour.

The front sway bar is a different story alltogether. You really don't want to be highway driving without your front sway bar. In my opinion that should be off-road modification only.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Dont have sfa but did disconnect the front bar once (for drags) On the drive home almost flipped the thing. See the thread "flipped my blazer" lol

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Is the rear one required in your area too? I believe most if not all S10 pickups came without a rear sway bar. The ZR2 came with a track bar in the rear, but my brother's S10 doesn't have anything at all. I've read about a few people on here ditching the rear sway bar all together, without any significant change to driving behaviour.

The front sway bar is a different story alltogether. You really don't want to be highway driving without your front sway bar. In my opinion that should be off-road modification only.
not sure on the rear ones. Ill find out. I can just say it didn't come with one lol. I made some quick disconnects for the front ones. takes 2-3 minutes to disconnect them before i go offroading. I might just take the rear one out if it doesn't really do much.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

My rear is removed completely. You might notice a difference for the first couple miles then you will forget all about it. Or at least I did anyway. I drove to Florida and back fully loaded with three adults a baby and all the needs for a baby for a week without any issues on the hwy.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Starting Member

takin it out first thing tomorrow

Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think it depends on what kinda suspension you go with up front if you run coils or really soft springs it might be a issue. on the old k5 blazers with lift kits, the front springs were so stiff a 200lb guy could bounce on the front bumper and you would be lucky to move it a inch. removing the sway bar on those things didnt make one bit of a difference.

i dont run one on my s10 with leafs up front but i dont think its ever seen street speeds, drove it once about 4 blocks away babied it more or less cause it wasnt insured or plated, didnt want to hit anything

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
xtrmes10 is on a distinguished road

My ZR2 Blazer didnt have a front sway bar when I bout it and it handled fine. I put one on and didn't even notice any difference.
My 91 S10 thats SFA doesn't have a sway bar either. If you look at the older Chevy trucks that came from the factory with a solid axle up front they didn't come with one either and they were fine to drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sway bars...