Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

torsion bar question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default torsion bar question

i have been wanting to crank the torsion bars a little bit (probably like an inch) just to make it a little more level but im not exactly sure how to do it... I got a picture while i was replacing my shocks today and im not sure what i need to crank

the red arrow is pointing to what looks like the end of the torsion bar and the blue arrow is pointing to what i think i need to tighten. i have read posts saying all you need is an 18mm socket... is it really that simple?

Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: torsion bar question

There is a tutorial on here. That is not the correct bolt however. That one looks to hold the lower arm on. The bolt that you are looking for is in the torsion bar crossmember. Follow the torsion bars towards the back and you will see the bolts.

https://blazerforum.com/m_49699/tm.htm

Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

towards the back?? i followed the bars to the front

Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
newblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

I see lots of lift information on S10 Blazers. I want to lift my son's '94 full size Blazer just a tad so he can install some larger tires. I have warned him about the wear and increased replacement intervals on suspension parts. Is the information relavant to full size Blazers as well?

Thanks,

Wayne

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah the info should be revalent for all vehicles that have torsion bars, just some front end suspensions on other vehicles are less sensitive than the s10 blazers, but it will cause more wear on every truck that has torsion bars in the front.

EDIT: The bolt you are looking for is at the end of the torsion bars towards the rear at the crossmember. There should be a picture in the tutorial above.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

T-Bar bolts are in the cross member at the back almost equal to the door seam , so crawl under the truck where the door seam is and look up and the bolts will be facing upward also ..
Just look at the door handle and follow it down and crawl under there and look up , one under the drivers seat and one under the pass seat , almost

Zed

Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran

yeah i figured it out, i figured since the tbars are for the front suspension then the bolts will be at the front of the barsso while i was changing the shocks i figured i'd try and get an idea of where they were.
anyways, now i gotta find a good time to crank and then go get an alignment

Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
newblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Lennyblazer,

If I crank the front, what do most folks do about leveling the back? Again, my son just wants a tad larger tire/wheel, nothing too radical.

Thanks!

Wayne

Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically lift shackles are used in the rear to raise it up. They are cheap and effective.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

I have air shocks on both my trucks and no problems at all ...

And another thing about getting an alignment , lets say the truck was aligned properly when bought new and then over a few years time it dropped 2" wouldn't the "drop" throw the original alignment out slowly over the years so there for putting it back to where it used to be you wouldn't need one ?
I cranked my ZR2 up a couple inches and took er in for an alignment and I said to the tech "how far out" and he just said it had a little 'toe in' on one side , nothing to do with cranking the bars but yes if you do crank em up I guess it is a good idea to get it aligned again over the years ..

Here are the air shocks on my 85 , big buggers , Ranchos too and yes that is a Ford 9" rear

And Monroe's on my BlaZeR2 :

Zed

Quick Reply: torsion bar question