Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   Towing question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/towing-question-9113/)

gserve 03-04-2007 01:19 PM

Towing question

2000 Blazer LT 4 dr 4 wheel drive, heavy duty trailing equipment, 3.42 ratio rear axle ,GVW rating 5350 lbs touring suspension. Would like to tow pop-up camper GVW rated at 3280 lbs's. The owners manuel states that I need a sway bar over 2000 lbs. Question: Does my Blazer have a sway bar if it has the towing package? or do i need to have one installed? Any and all advise on towing with the Blazer would be appreciated. Thanks

hillbillyinOhio 03-04-2007 04:55 PM

RE: Towing question

i dont think that you have to have one, but a tranny cooler and trailer brakes would be a good idea.

mudsliner 03-04-2007 05:29 PM

yea i think you do atleast i do and ihave the HD stuff on mine atleast that what i was told when i bought it.

i would get a tranny temp gauge also.and a break box. and idk bout the tranny cooler cause i pull all kinds of stuff little more then what that camperweights with mine. but mineis a 5spd so i aint sure.

drperry 03-04-2007 06:08 PM

I don't know if you can get a tranny cooler for a 5 speed...

Just make sure, when you're towing, you're NOT in Overdrive...

I haven't read the manual yet, but by sway bar, maybe they mean the hitch stabilizer sway bars?

swartlkk 03-04-2007 06:32 PM

No need for a cooler on a manual transmission. You aren't heating up the gear oil in a manual when you are under load.

And the only reason you may need to not be in OD when towing is if you are seeing a lot of hunting for the proper gear. If you continually kick it down into 3rd, then you'll want to just pull it down to 3rd and leave it. If you are on flat ground, OD is perfectly fine.

Towing my parents popup of very similar weight over the past few years with my Bravada was no trouble what so ever. Going up to the Adirondacks a few years ago was easy and there may have only been a few times on that drive that I kicked it down into 3rd gear.

mudsliner 03-04-2007 06:52 PM

i didnt say i needed one i was talkin botu him needing one. but i wasnt sure if he did or not cause i have a 5spd

drperry 03-04-2007 06:55 PM

I know, I was just commenting the fact...
Do all 4 doors/LT's have the auto?

He didn't say which trans he had...

swartlkk 03-04-2007 07:13 PM

Yeah, who knows what tranny he has. If it has an auto, then you'd want to put on a trans cooler.

mudsliner 03-04-2007 10:43 PM

ooi though he said what it was. must ave mis read it. my bad.

gserve 03-04-2007 11:04 PM

I have the auto 4sp electronic transmission.. Does anyone know whats included in the heavy duty trailering package.