Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member
gserve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Towing question

2000 Blazer LT 4 dr 4 wheel drive, heavy duty trailing equipment, 3.42 ratio rear axle ,GVW rating 5350 lbs touring suspension. Would like to tow pop-up camper GVW rated at 3280 lbs's. The owners manuel states that I need a sway bar over 2000 lbs. Question: Does my Blazer have a sway bar if it has the towing package? or do i need to have one installed? Any and all advise on towing with the Blazer would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Towing question

i dont think that you have to have one, but a tranny cooler and trailer brakes would be a good idea.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i think you do atleast i do and ihave the HD stuff on mine atleast that what i was told when i bought it.

i would get a tranny temp gauge also.and a break box. and idk bout the tranny cooler cause i pull all kinds of stuff little more then what that camperweights with mine. but mineis a 5spd so i aint sure.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if you can get a tranny cooler for a 5 speed...

Just make sure, when you're towing, you're NOT in Overdrive...

I haven't read the manual yet, but by sway bar, maybe they mean the hitch stabilizer sway bars?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No need for a cooler on a manual transmission. You aren't heating up the gear oil in a manual when you are under load.

And the only reason you may need to not be in OD when towing is if you are seeing a lot of hunting for the proper gear. If you continually kick it down into 3rd, then you'll want to just pull it down to 3rd and leave it. If you are on flat ground, OD is perfectly fine.

Towing my parents popup of very similar weight over the past few years with my Bravada was no trouble what so ever. Going up to the Adirondacks a few years ago was easy and there may have only been a few times on that drive that I kicked it down into 3rd gear.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Starting Member

i didnt say i needed one i was talkin botu him needing one. but i wasnt sure if he did or not cause i have a 5spd

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I know, I was just commenting the fact...
Do all 4 doors/LT's have the auto?

He didn't say which trans he had...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, who knows what tranny he has. If it has an auto, then you'd want to put on a trans cooler.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Starting Member

ooi though he said what it was. must ave mis read it. my bad.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member
gserve is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the auto 4sp electronic transmission.. Does anyone know whats included in the heavy duty trailering package.

Quick Reply: Towing question