Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

ZR2 axle swap?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 axle swap?

I eventually want to swap my 2000 jimmy 4door 4x4 suspension over to the zr2 highrider. Now for the most part I've found out the rear is more or less a basic swap. But the front is what I can't figure out. What's the difference between what I have and the zr2??? I've found out the cv shafts for the zr2 are longer, but that's all I can figure out is different. So is all I need to do is add the longer cv shafts to mine and Im done? I feel as though there should be much more involved/different than that.

Now Its not like I'm gonna be doing this immediately, things aren't free, lol. But I figure get my facts straight and then I can keep an eye out for parts as funds become available.

Also I'm not worried abou gearing, I understand the differences in that so I would just make sure to look for the same gears I already have (GU6) , if I don't have to swap the front diff also. So I couldn't give to sheets to the wind as to what gears I have as long as they match.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

From what i understand the ZR2 suspension mounts to the frame differently, and thats how its lifted.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ZR2s weren't available in 3.42s (GU6) so you will have to swap both differentials to have matching gears. You are correct on the rear being a swap but being a 4 door there are slight differences between yours and the ZR2 such as sway bar and brake lines. Front differential is a direct swap but you will not gain any height. Their height in the front, as 97cherryblazer mentioned, comes from different mounting points on the frame, longer A-arms, among other things. You can swap the ZR2 t-bars in but there's still a limit to how much you can crank them before CV angles become a problem.

Search for a thread named "ZR2d it" with the author, Wolfpack

Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I've done part of what you're talking about. I swapped in the rear axle & front diff from a ZR2. Like TripleBlack said, the rear axle is pretty straight forward, except you have to use all the brake lines from the ZR2, and the rear sway bar is different (I got my factory one to work with some difficulty because the axle mount points are about 1" wider). The front CV shafts and control arms cannot be used without major modification to the suspention mounts, at which point you may as well just go with a SFA.

The front diff does not have to come from a ZR2, as long as it has the same gear ratio. Also, if your current rear brakes are drums switching to a disc brake rear end is pretty easy as long as you get a complete axle. You will have to get all new park-brake cables though. They attach to the rear axle differently and are different length between the drum vs. disc rear axles.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info guys. So do you think it would be better doing axle swaps or think just crank the torsions and 2" shackles? Like wich u think would be best, cuz I'm adding some late 80s camaro z28 rims?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

T-bar crank and shackles would be much easier.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The main reason to do an axle swap is if you do not have a G80 or similar, and if you really want the wider rear end. The ZR2 axle is just over 3" wider than the regular 4x4 axle.

I did mine for all these reasons, as well as having a bearing going on my factory axle and wanting to go to the 3.73 gears (I had 3.42). I found a great deal on a ZR2 axle with discs included so for me it was way easier to go that way.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

If all your looking for is lift then just crank the tbars and get some shackles for the rear or do a body lift. Swapping the axles will not lift it at all.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Starting Member

Any one got any recommendations as where to get some good quality shackles? And do I just crank the t's or do I get new ones?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

all information for the tbar crank can be found here
https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...cussion-27765/

I found this using the forums search feature

the shackles can be found on ebay or summit racing

I think jegs carries em too