Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

31" Tires rub frame BAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
96chevy4dr is on a distinguished road
Default 31" Tires rub frame BAD!!

I just got myself a set of Cooper Discoverer STT's, and i have cranked my T-Bars up 1.5". The tires are rubbing the frame badly.. I can only only turn about 3/4 of what i could be, and they are about 1/3" from rubbing the body in the rear so with that what size wheel spacers would keep me from rubbing either the body and frame on stock wheels??

Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry not 1/3" from rubbing in the rear, 1/3" from rubbing in the back of the front fenderwell

Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member
c_mcintosh is on a distinguished road

hey! im running with a 2/3" tbar and shackle crank with 31" tires and mine rubbed when turning in the front as well on the frame. so i went and bought some spacers, depending on what rims u have, im running with the Zr2 rims. my spacers are 1 3/4". this moved em out and they no longer rub against the frame, only have to worry about bottoming out the suspension in the front cause if that occurs u might hit ur fender. only problem for me is that when the wheel is cranked and going over speed bump the tire hits the very bottom of the inner fender. this can be fixed with the 3" body lift from what i heard, this is what im most likely going to do. then u can fit 33" too apparenly. ddeffinately look on ebay for stuff or any site u know of! hope this helped.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member
c_mcintosh is on a distinguished road

my tires are the Panterra ATs "BFG knock offs"

Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Prior to putting on my spacers I rubbed pretty good on the frame and the front sway bar. Now I'm running 1.25" spacers with stock 4x4 rims and 31x10.5 BFG All-Terrains, and I don't rub at all on the frame. Even with 1.5" T-bar lift and a 2" body lift I did rub at the back of the fender well until I "adjusted" it a bit. Lots of people trim some out of the back of the fender well, but I gave it the the sledge treatment for about 3/4", and I don't rub at all now. I went wheeling on the weekend and didn't touch once. I decided to just bend the corner back since I am doing bed-liner on the fenders and rocker panels within a few weeks, and I didn't want to worry about sorting out any edges. Lots of people have trimmed the fenders very effectively though.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

Hey i just did bed-liner on mine last month! Turned out great and i get comments on it quite often! But back on topic im thinking about getting 1" spacers for the front and 2" for the rear! Im definately gonna have to trim my fender some cause there really close to rubbing right now... Im going mudding tomorrow for my first time! And with MT tires too! So i hope i dont tear the side wall up because of the frame...

Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by 96chevy4dr
Hey i just did bed-liner on mine last month! Turned out great and i get comments on it quite often! But back on topic im thinking about getting 1" spacers for the front and 2" for the rear! Im definately gonna have to trim my fender some cause there really close to rubbing right now... Im going mudding tomorrow for my first time! And with MT tires too! So i hope i dont tear the side wall up because of the frame...
Yeah, it is a double-edged sword. With zr2 wheels or stock wheels, the backspacing is pretty high and will rub frame. With fwd wheels/wheels with backspacing 4.5 or lower, you clear frame fine but rub on the fender. If you are going wheeling, you definitely need to trim some fender though. Sawzall or angle grinder is your best friend!

About the spacers, make sure to get hub-centric spacers and torque them to specs and check them often so they don't get loose and you lose a wheel going 65 on the highway. Also, realize most to all shops won't touch or have anything to do with your wheels/tires after you get spacers.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member

So if i get 1" hub centric spacers for the front, will it rub the frame at all??

Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96chevy4dr
So if i get 1" hub centric spacers for the front, will it rub the frame at all??
It probably won't rub the frame, but with 31" tires you'll quite possibly rub the back of the fender when turning and flexing (the suspension, not your glutes). You're probably going to have to create a bit more room back there by trimming or at least bending it back.

The other thing with 1" spacers to be aware of is its possible you might have to shave the tops of the studs a tiny bit. With my 1.25" spacers, I only have maybe 1/4" clearance on the tops of the factory studs.