Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Accident, basically killed my Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:44 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accident, basically killed my Blazer

Got into an accident infront of my college. Lost control on a turn, swurved into a gutter drain, 180'd onto the opposite side of the road and blew the tires/destroyed the rims. I thought that was the only problem until I realized I was leaking brake fluid from the rear left line, and oil from the front. Not sure where, but when the truck was towed away there was a chunk of broken grey plastic sitting in the puddle of oil.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7525/0E295DE08BA8440885D7D48FFF721A06.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7525/D6620B43258A4F4292EA45A18916F217.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7525/B731E84E429A4051917C7EFE61E7AD73.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7525/7BD0D5207B234DBF8AE1F82D65B7D4F3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7525/0599B3A579A548E1B2AC8D84EA914DBA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Accident, basically killed my Blazer

At least your alright.

I was hoping to see a picture of hte oil and the broken piece.

Shop the salvage yards for replacement rims.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

ouch.

it doesn't look too bad.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah I tried capping it but by time I noticed it was roughly 6pm and the sun was already down so nothing came up on camera. I had the plastic piece in my hand but when the cop came over I threw it on the grass in case he asked any further questions about the damage. :P

Yeah, it really doesn't look too bad. I checked the tie rod, struts, ball joints, everything looked fine. Rims or axle wasn't bent so I was confident 2 new rims and tires would fix it all, until I got under the truck one last time to look at the rear and noticed I was laying in a puddle of fluid. I looked up and saw brake fluid dripping pretty fast out of a brake line, turned the battery on and sure enough got a brake warning light. I didn't get the light right after the crash. After the crash everything was fine, this started leaking a few minutes later. And for the oil.. it didn't smell like oil, it looked like it. So I'm not sure WHAT it could've been. Quite possibly there before my accident? Hopefully not from my truck. I'll find out tomorrow when I bring it to my mechanic.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 PM
wyk
wyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thing you and your blazer didn't kill anyone else...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 AM

Pretty much, when I 180'd that thing swung around like it was on a ball. What do you think about the sweet smelling fluid coming out of the rear? Could it be brake fluid. It looked like it was coming out of a brake line, but could've been coming from above and just dripping on the brake line. The entire area looked pretty wet on the truck.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

sweet smell = usually brake fluid.

Oil up front, broken plastic too... The oil filter is on a remote line right under the front bumper. Also, the Tranny cooler lines run up front to the radiator on the passenger side.

That looks like a hard hit - I hit the curb like that before at 45 MPH. I swerved to keep from hitting a guy who pulled right out in front of me - I went into a Christmas Tree lot full of people. It could have been REALLY REALLY BAD!

Anywho... Any word on rims? Insurance call? Not to capitalize on your misfortune, but I would be interested in your center caps and maybe both of your other wheels- Seriously.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 AM

Any idea what the broken gray plastic came from? It was sitting in a puddle of something that looked like it came from under the front suspension. Like I said, didn't smell like oil, but had that greasy colorful look to it. The truck still runs, I had the toe truck guy back it up into my mechanic's parking lot and the only thing I noticed were the drops of fluid from the rear. I'm guessing as he hit the brakes it leaked fluid, especially since my brake warning light is on. Not sure of that fluid from the front was still leaking, or if it was even from my truck since the road WAS kinda wet when I saw the puddle after the crash.

Also, as he backed it in the rims didn't seem wobbly or off-centered. The back rim kinda looked like it swiveled at one point when he was turning, as if the rear axle was damaged, but it was too dark to tell, and when he parked it the rim looked fine again.

Insurance isn't covering anything. :/
I was paying for liability coverage, and they said the truck's "too old" so they're saying it's totaled. Not to me it isn't..

Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

Fan shroud, inner fender coverings, skid plate/oil filter access...

You can get an axle if the flange is tweeked.

You probaly need to put the front up on ramps and pull on all of the pressure carrying lines, tranny, brake, and oil filter remote with the engine running - be VERY carefull as you will be really close to the fan.

Plastic could also be from something else entirely.

Best of Luck!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Yeah, but the thing is it was light gray, everything plastic down there is black. I'll be careful, and thanks for the luck!

Quick Reply: Accident, basically killed my Blazer