Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Backspace and tire questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
JoshM is on a distinguished road
Default Backspace and tire questions.

Yes I searched, but it seemed like each thread said something different.

I have a 2wd 4-door 1998 Jimmy. From my understanding the lug pattern is 5x4.75. That seems unanimous throughout the search results.

I read that the backspacing for 2nd Gen 2wd's range from 4" to 4.5", and that the stock wheel is 15x6.

What backspacing would I need for a 15x8 wheel? 5"-5." or so? I want them to sit nearly where stock is, maybe a little further out. Them being flush with the fenders don't bother me a bit, but I'd rather them not stick out from the fenders more than an inch.

What's the stock tire size? Is it 205/75?

Sorry for the long post.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to check your clearances before increasing the back spacing. If you were to go with a 15x8 rim, I would say you would want to stick with the stock 4.5" BS. I believe there are things that will interfere with the rim if you push the tire towards the frame more.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You will want to check your clearances before increasing the back spacing. If you were to go with a 15x8 rim, I would say you would want to stick with the stock 4.5" BS. I believe there are things that will interfere with the rim if you push the tire towards the frame more.
Oh, so the less backspace the closer it is to the vehicle?

I'm use to judging wheels by offset, where the lower the offset the more the wheel sticks out. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The higher the back spacing the closer it is to the vehicle.

And, well, it all depends on what you call low. closer to zero on a negative offset rim will push the wheel out further. But being a negative offset, the lower (more negative) the number, the closer to the vehicle it will get. Just depends on how you look at it.

With back spacing, just remember that it is the measurement from the inside lip of the rim to the wheel mounting surface. If the number gets smaller, the rim is pushed out more. If it gets larger, it is sucked back in towards the center of the vehicle.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

So a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing will be "pushed out" 2" further than the stock 15x6?

Would a 15x8 Cragar with 4" backspacing cause issues?

Last edited by JoshM; 02-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Administrator

You got it.

That Cragar would stick out 2.5" further than stock so you will want to check your clearances with the outer edge of the tire while turning.