Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Backspacing on rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Boopappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Backspacing on rims?

I have tried searching threw the threads on this topic but found myself still confused. I beleive my 02 Blazer 4x4, has a stock backspace of 6 inches if I am correct. I was looking into getting some wheels that are 15X8 with a backspace of 4.5, would these stick out to far or cause any problems? I like the look that some of you all have where the rims stick out the side a little bit (maybe an inch or so for the widder stance), but do not want mine to stick out to far or frog leg. I am going to be running a 31x10.50 on these pro comp steel wheels.

There are two similar wheels, one with 4.75 backspace and one with 5.00 backspace, would I be better off going with a 5 instead of 4.5. I just dont want to take the chance on breaking anything or wearing anything out from my rims sticking out to far.

Thanks, Jimmy

Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I have pro comp wheels with the 4.5" back space. So you'll be fine with that back spacing. They stick out a little but not extreme.

Only pictures I have showing how much they stick out.

Last edited by nj4x4blaze; 02-03-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Thats pretty much the look that I am shooting for. I might have to order me some new rims very soon and get this project going. You have some time and dedication built up in your blazer man, it looks really good. Im guessing you probably dont fit in the garage anymore do you? Im going to have the same problem as soon as I put my BL on, my stock blazer barely fits in there now, Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Actually it does fit in the garage now. lol.. I had to drill some holes on the garage door tracks and use a screw driver to hold the door open so I can clear the roof rack.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you're gonna be putting 31's on? don't you need a 2" SL with the BL to clear 31's on these 2nd gen's? still can't believe i could just slap on 31's on any of my 1st gen's, why'd they have to screw that up (talkin' to you GM).

ok, finished my little rant now. *whew*

Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Body lift will still clear 31's.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Thumbs up 31's are good to go

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
you're gonna be putting 31's on? don't you need a 2" SL with the BL to clear 31's on these 2nd gen's? still can't believe i could just slap on 31's on any of my 1st gen's, why'd they have to screw that up (talkin' to you GM).

ok, finished my little rant now. *whew*
No sir, like NJ4x4 stated, throw on a BL and your good to go. I am going to add the SL on down the road sometime, when I get some money built up. Just by the torsion bar cranks, 31" tires, and a 2" BL, there should be a total of around 4-5" worth of lift. If you do a 2" SL and a 2" BL with some trimming, I've been told you can fit a 33, not sure though and am not going to chance it until I know for sure.

I just bought my BL after debating on the idea for around a year now (I know, too long). I just kept thinking $200.00 for 2", is it worth it. Everyone I have met tells me that it is the best bang for the buck, and that I will be very happy after I get it on, hope so. I will try to take some before and after pictures on the same ground to give everyone a better idea of how much they will gain. I tried to search everything possible to get a side by side picture, and couldnt find one, so maybe this will help others like me. Im not sure when I will be able to put it on, between being a ful time dad and working 40+ hours every week, time is hard to find.

NJ4x4- is your Blazer candy red, or is it just the lighting?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM

The color is called Dark Cherry Metallic. And a combination of an old 6 megapixel camera which causes the truck to look pink in some photo's.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

see. i thought i read somewhere that you needed both.

how about 31's with just the SL? ('cause i HATE the BL's!)

Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM

suspension lift will work, but you might need to trim the fenders since you don't want to do a body lift.

Quick Reply: Backspacing on rims?