Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Bald Tires and Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
Twiztidly is on a distinguished road
Default Bald Tires and Transaxle

Hi, im sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread.. but i jsut have a question... it may sound stupid... or odd.. or whatever.. not sure since i dont know the answer...lol...

ive heard people before say that bald tires and hurt this or that on a car.. but i was told today that since i have a 4x4 the fact that i have 3 perfectly treaded tires and one bald tire (barely has any tread on the tire) which is on my drivers side rear... that im ruining my transaxle and if i dont change it asap ill cost myself 3 grand to replace it??.... now ive never heard anyone say that before (but yet ive never owned a 4x4 before)..... part of me kinda thinks that makes sense.. but another part of me doesnt believe a word he says since hes the same guy thats been heard saying that if u dont rotate your tires ever 3 months and make sure the exact tread depth is equal across from another that itll destroy my suspension......

Anyway... does a bald tire ruin a transaxle??.. i understand the whole "slip" thing.. but at the same time... is having one fairly new tire on the pass side and 1 bald tire on the drivers side THAT detramental(sp?)????....

Once again.. sorry if its the wrong thread.. and sorry if its a dumb question.. but when this guy told me this it made me think... cuz part of it makes sense.. but part of it jsut doesnt.....

Last edited by Twiztidly; 09-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ehhhhh. I know if you run a different size tire on a rear axle then the other,or on a 4x4 it could mess it up,but just that little bit if difference? Unless its some mad mud tires with 1" stubbs thats on the other side,id just get a used tire for $20 at a tire shop and be done with the worrying.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

it will be fine for 2wd but for using 4wd all your tires should have the same tread depth. It can mess up your "transfercase" if you run it that way for a long time.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member

see.. thats what ive always heard 2 is that if u put 2 different size tires on the same axle it can mess it up... but bald and good tread??... just to me it doesnt seem right...

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

So,how about just replace that bald tire with a used tire? it soothes the soul.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
it will be fine for 2wd but for using 4wd all your tires should have the same tread depth. It can mess up your "transfercase" if you run it that way for a long time.

ok.. that makes sense.. so the fact that im only running in 2 wheel drive right now.... its not super urgent to the drivetrain to replace it untill i need the 4wheel drive like winter time??.. cuz thats the only time ill use it....

i mean obviously bald tires arent exactly safe practice.. but i dont get paid for almost 2 weeks.. i just started my new job saturday...

like stated before.. i know nothing about 4 wheel drive... this car is a learning experiance to me.. engine wise i think im covered on.. cuz really theres nothing special to any of my previous cars (ive owned a mustang,Audi Cabriolet, and an Explorer) but as far has suspension and drivetrain theres some new things ive never messed with before...i never had to work on my explorers suspension or anything.. the transmission went out before i really even had a chance to learn the controls..lol...

So... On the topic of tires (which of course is what the thread is about..lol) what brand would u recommend?... i barely use 4x4 and its my daily driver.. i drive about 5 miles a day (thats 2 and from work) and the occasional trips about 45 miles away... by occasional i mean maybe once a month.... i will only use 4 wheel drive in case of severe winter storms to get me to work....

Once again.. to the admins.. sorry if this is off topic.. which i know it definitally is getting off topic...lol

And to answer your questions Chris015.. i am.. i just gotta wait untill i get paid.. it wasnt a question of will i be able to get away with it.. it was a question of is that a true statement.... i planed on gettin a new tire for awhile now.. but i was on unemploymnet untill jsut recently... and i have a 1 year old and a house payment.. utilities... etc... so keeping my son fed and in a cool house was more important.... but now that i have a decent paycheck coming in i can afford it...

the tire isnt so bad that the belts or anything are showing or anything.. just to the point that they definitally need replaced before the belts show... which like i said.. i only put a couple miles on the car a day... and i travel threw town where i go the max speed 30mph....

Last edited by Twiztidly; 09-13-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Bald tire vs fairly new is the same thing as two differently sized tires though. Take a tape measure to each tire, I'll be you've got 1/2" difference on one axle between "new" and "bald" tires. That'll certainly screw with things.

That being said, why in the world are you driving around with a bald tire like that anyways? Like Chris said... just get a used one on there. At the very least you'll have better traction on it. It's just unsafe to do that.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member

like stated above.. i havent had the money... ive been literally working with 20 bucks a week to eat... untill saturday the car only moved once.. maybe twice a week...
it now only gets driven to and from work.. which is less then 5 miles a day... threw little neighborhoods.... so its not like im on the highway goin 70 for 45 minutes each way....

im sure u people understand being broke... taken care of my kid has been more important then fixing a tire on a care that barely gets moved that my kid hasnt even been in...the only time he really ever leaves the house is when his mother is taking him to the baby sitters... untill just saturday he was with me all day everyday at home...

once again.. people.. this is NOT about having a bald tire on my car and needing it replaced.. it is ONLY about the question of does bald tires ruin the transaxle.. its JUST a question.. and id really appreciate it if im not criticized for nto bein about ot afford to fix a tire on a car that was never really used intill 4 days ago... when instead im taking care of the more important things.... like my son.... im sorry i got put into a situation that i had to place one things importance over another.... if your a parent you cant tell me you dont understand...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

First, move the bald tire up front.

Second, don't use 4wd until you have all tires matching.

Third, quit using the term "transaxle". There is no such things on these vehicles.

Fourth, glad to hear you do put your son above the Blazer.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I don't think the random one read what you had to say befor he posted, sorry they where not trying to upset you. But yeah just like AJ said put that tire up front and it won't cause any problems, just untill you can afford to get a new tire. And as far as what tires to get when you replace them all like you where asking about I believe, I would just go with some standard all terrains, like Toyo, good year, or something like that. A/T tires will get you through anything you need with daily driving. But sorry again no one here meant to make you feel like that we just got a little confused about what exactly you where asking and what your situation was. We are always here to help with anything else that should ever go wrong on the truck.
Also glad to see you are driving a chevy and not a ford lol

Quick Reply: Bald Tires and Transaxle