Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Change From 5 Lug to 6 Lug

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
Elizabeth Duncan is on a distinguished road
Default Change From 5 Lug to 6 Lug

What would I have to do as far as swapping the hub assemblies out to make my S 10 six lug What years Will exchange

Old 02-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Timmins_Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I would love to know this,
My friend has an Envoy and the Hubs are the exact same, I think his is a 2006 or 07 Envoy... We have questioned if it is 100% possible but we have never tried.

Please advise if you get an answer

Old 02-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Baring some South American market newer S-series rebirth 6-lug that I really do not think exists...

The hub is only part of the problem for the front end. If the hub from a newer GMT360 platform truck fits into the steering knuckle, you'll then need to check the OD of the hub for fitment into the stock s-series rotor. If it doesn't fit, then you'll have to decide whether to turn down the hub or attempt to swap to the GMT360 brakes (which likely won't bolt up to the s-series knuckle). It would be possible to have the s-series rotors drilled to the 6-lug pattern and the hubs turned down if necessary to fit inside the s-series rotors.

But then you have to figure out what to do with the rear end. Back there, you'll likely have to do custom axle shafts to get to 6-lug or convert a GMT360 platform rear axle to leaf spring (stock they're 4-link w/ pan-hard & coil spring or air spring). Converting the rear axle from a GMT360 brings you the complete brake package. Custom axles would require the stock s-series brake rotors be drilled to the 6-lug pattern.

This is an illustration I had created years ago to show the overlap of the two bolt patterns as discussed in THIS THREAD:

There will be overlap of at least one bolt hole regardless of how you orient the patterns. The illustration above does not have the holes to size. They should be roughly double the size of what is displayed as they are currently shown as only around 1/4" diameter and should be just under 1/2" diameter to fit a 12mm stud.

I assume that the reason is to use 6-lug rims. If that is the case, I'd forget the idea altogether as it isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.