Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Cragar/ Black Rock Wheel Issue

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cragar/ Black Rock Wheel Issue

The issue I am having is that my Blazer vibrates around 70mph+. At first I thought it was my 1" spacers on the rear wheels. Took them off, and now the vibration is less, but still there. I think it is because of the Black Rock wheels I have. I had them balanced at Costco and the guys told me the problem was the center caps. Anyone else having this issue?

They are Black Rock series 997 Soft 8's with 4" backspacing. They are also not hub centric, but from what I know they don't make them to fit the hub on a blazer. Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Only time i noticed the vibration is when I need to rotate my tires. After I do that the vibration goes away. Maybe try that and see if it goes away. If it continues, check and make sure your front end components are good, like tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, ball joints, ect..

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Okay will do. I do have a weird (all of the tread is dissipating) tread wear on the outer section of the rear tires. Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

...Have you had an alignment lately?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM

I did get one at pepboys about 4 months ago, after I tried to do the torsion bar lift. But they turned them back down and supposedly alligned them. Im probably gonna get a lift and bigger tires in a month and a half, so I'll just wait.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Well, I rotated the tires and took the center caps off, but it still shakes when going 75mph down the interstate. So, either my ball joints are bad or I need an alignment.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member
rush1329 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rob44_90
Well, I rotated the tires and took the center caps off, but it still shakes when going 75mph down the interstate. So, either my ball joints are bad or I need an alignment.
sisk you read my mind, sounds way more like an alignment issue, especially if you cranked the tbars... no offense against pep boys, but i would take it to a good mom and pop mechanic, but thats just me and the area i live in...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue...and am a few hours ahead of you it sounds...

My front right wheel would wobble at hi speeds like you say. I know I've got worm pitman and idler arms, but figured it was an alignment issue.

Got new Cragar wheels and cranked the t-bars up 5.5 turns and figured that I'd have them align everything and be set, but the mechanic called and said that doing an alignment with worm pitman and idler arms would just be taking my money because the alignment wouldn't hold.

He suggested a new pitman arm, idler arm, wheel bearing, and wheel axle for that wheel. He is probably right, but I'm going to check it out and repair what is needed myself and save hundreds.

Moral of my story is that it's probably the bad wheel bearing or CV joint allowing your wheel to wobble, and probably a bad pitman, idler, or both that initially started the problem by allowing the two front wheels to push in different directions.

The vibration caused a cv boot to tear (I think that was the cause), so just keep your speed down and see about replacing or inspecting those things. The parts total under $100 and you'll need a few tools, but having a garage do it may be near $1500.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Starting Member
erwin.zeez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rush1329
sisk you read my mind, sounds way more like an alignment issue, especially if you cranked the tbars... no offense against pep boys, but i would take it to a good mom and pop mechanic, but thats just me and the area i live in...
same thinking