Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Goodyear Duratrac - Why I returned them

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
aced411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goodyear Duratrac - Why I returned them

I'll be honest I was going to write a big long story about my experience going from bfg to duratrac but decided to get to the point instead:

Pro's:
-Improved wet weather traction
-Better in Snow? (I didn't get a chance to test that)
-Great look
-Improved off road handling in wet conditions

Cons:
-Sloppy cornering
-Makes vehicle drive like a boat / mushy feeling
-Increased road noise, much more than BFG (still less than a mud tire)
-Weak sidewalls.....flex like crazy

Conclusion:
The BFG's have way better road manners. I'm willing to spin out in the rain once in awhile. I exchanged those sloppy duratracs and went back to BFG's. I've never been impressed with Goodyear and this was not an exception.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Veddy interesting...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The DuraTracs sound like the perfect tire for me for hunting in the mountains. They won't see many paved roads and I need a tire that is outstanding in snow and rocks.

Though, from you cons list it kind of sounds like you didn't have them inflated to the correct pressure?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep contemplating what to go with BFG T/A KO or DuraTrac. I need something that is EXCELLENT in snow/ice and all around winter driving. My truck is only really used in winter so traction is the top priority. I don't off road at all so that not a concern. But I also want something the looks aggressive. Right now I have the BFG Longtrails and they SUCK in snow, but last forever. Decisions, decisions!!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

BigRingTravis wrote up a good review on them, it's interesting to hear this side of the story. Tirerack has some pretty nasty reviews and some really good ones, but then again so do all the tires on there, so it's a wash.

I was hoping they'd make these in the size I need (255/65/17) but it looks like I'll either be going with the ol' Faithful General Grabber AT2's or the Dueler Revo AT2's.

Ah, I see you were in that thread, too. What changed from your initial impressions? How many miles did you put on them?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ yeah aced411, i was gonna ask the same question.

did you find these better or worse than your Toyo M/T's?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
^^^ yeah aced411, i was gonna ask the same question.

did you find these better or worse than your Toyo M/T's?
Definitely better than Toyo M/T's when it comes to on-road performance...and to those who's primary focus is winter driving I would say the duratracs are a good purchase. The traction sticks like glue....and yes they were inflated properly. I suppose the metaphors are a bit of an exaggeration. Don't get me wrong they were fairly decent to drive on, it's just after driving on BFG's for so long now I'm used to the hard sidewalls and tight handling.

My initial impression was the traction was way better and they looked great. My opinion hasn't changed in that respect. That post was after my drive home from Discount Tire lol. After putting a few hundred miles on them I found some of the reasons I left the Toyo M/T's back in the day were present here. They felt heavier (slower acceleration), were a little bouncy and you can feel the sidewalls flexing when you corner fast.... although that's quite common with any offroad tire. The soft rubber provides superior traction. The BFG's are made for the Baja desert so they have harder rubber. That's why they get squirrely sometimes in the rain.

Last edited by aced411; 01-25-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Default Update

Haven't gotten them to break loose in the rain yet, and I'm from the Seattle area. Siping makes quite a difference on the BFG's

Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 10.50-31-15 BFG TA K/O and i love them!!!! best tires i have ever owned and they look really aggressive, i would highly recomed them for winter driving or offrad.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
theresan is on a distinguished road
Smile tire madness

I have a 2000 4wd 4dr Blazer and am thinking of buying some new tires. I was looking at the Cooper Zeons. Any suggestions? I am new to this and am having body work repairs done next week and will be ready to add new tires. Also, will be getting a towing package to pull a 2 horse trailer. Any suggestions on that? Already got new stereo system last week! All this instead of buying a new vehicle!
Does anyone suggest new rims?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratrac - Why I returned them