Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 AM
chad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP

I am looking at 18-8.5 with 6.6 inches of backspacing. Is this too much backspacing for 1989 4wheeldrive and if so what is the most backspacing i can get

Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HELP

Holy Hell batman!!! Thats alot of Backspacing.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Stock 4X4 is very close to 6" backspacing, and stock wheels are 7" wide. With an 8.5" wheel, the 6.6" of backspacing serves to keep the outside edge of the tire closer to the fender. You will most likely still stick out past the fender, but not as much as if you had 5" or 6" of backspacing. Your wheel is 1.5" wider but you have .6" more backspacing than stock. Unless I am calculating this wrong, your tire will stick out .9" past the fender. Depending on your desired results, this may work for you. If you're trying to stay close to stock, just a bigger rim (18 vs. 15) I would try and find an 8" wide rim instead with the same backspacing. If you want the wider stance look, you can go with the setup you've found, or get n 8.5" wide wheel with an even 6" backspacing. I would stay within an inch of stock backspacing for fear of encountering rubbing issues, whether it be against the fender or against the frame.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Dabber

Holy Hell batman!!! Thats alot of Backspacing.
thats not really that bad

Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I know ours is 6 in but you don't normally see something with more than ours(at least I don't anyway) usually you hear of people that can't find more than 4-5 in of backspacing. I guess anything is possible. HAHA