Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Help me select the right size.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 AM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me select the right size.

Folks, I need some help selecting the right tire size. I have read the DIY thread about tires, but want to make certain I get the right ones.

I've selected the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. There is a place by me that is running a buy 3 get one free sale this week...basically, $450 out the door for the Revo's. For you folks that live near St. Charles, IL it's the Firestone dealer on Randall Road and 20 in Elgin. PM me if you need more information. I was looking to buy the General Grabber AT2's but when I found these, my search for the Generals stopped. I have the same tires on my Expedition with almost 80K miles on them....yeah, they need replacing [].

Anyways, I have narrowed down to 4 sizes. The sizes and specs are attached at the bottom. This is the first time i have attached an image, I hope it works....hang with me.

Vehichle intended use.....
97 GMC Jimmy (all stock) to be used as daily driver but I hunt,fish, snowmobile (I tow things). I will pull a 17ft aluminum boat, enclosed snowmobile 2 place snowmobile trailer, travelmuddy trails andsandy tank trails on Fort McCoy (hunting).

I'm leaning towards the LT235/75/R15. It's C rated and29"diameter so it should fill the wheel well.

My question,cananyone tell me for certain, these will not rub on the frame or fendors....

I appreciate any comments, thanks much.... Scott

Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Help me select the right size.

235-75*15 came stock on my truck. fills the wheel well nicely, Ive almost bought the 265's a time or two. THe Lt235's will handle differently than the p-rated tires. I would just go with the 235's and call it a day.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check on your door sticker for the original equipment tire size. It is quite possible that you already have 235/75R15. Once you have the stock tire size, we can help make a better determination of what would be proper for your truck.

Really, the size differences will only throw off your speedometer. If you want to keep that as close to correct as possible, then you'll need to stick with the stock tire size. If you don't care, or have extra money to spend on a Hypertech tuner that would allow you to modify the tire size in the PCM (or have a nice dealer that would do it for you), then you can go with any one of those sizes. Although I'm not sure how well those 265's would fit on factory rims... Looks like they may be alittle too wide.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Should have stated this before....Inside door sticker says 235/70R15. I have 235/75R15 on now. Miata.net indicates a 2 mph difference...no biggie there but the 265 shows 4 mph.

I was wondering about the ride quality of the C rated. I guess I can always go with the P rated ones and increase the air pressure on the rears when I tow. That's what I usually do when I'm towing anyways. Anybody have any comments on how the C rated tires ride versus the P rated. Is it that much more stiff?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

you wont rub 235's even bottomed out... heck you wont rub 30's on your truck..... mine dont rub and ive been in some pretty rough places.... alot of 4-wheeler trails when hunting...

Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 PM

thanks Aron. I did end up getting the P235/17 R15. They fill up the wheel well nicely. I like em.

As they say, fix one issue and discover another. The Firestone mechanic told me the ball joints are kablooey. SOB, there goes another couple hundred,at least. After the new year I'm going over to mymechanic buddy's house and we'll tackle that job.

I don't have time for this. I got my entire snowmobile suspension tore apart to get powder coated. Actually, I got it all back and partially put together. Need to replace the jack shaft bearings before January and the suspension back in.....always something

Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

the ball joints really arent very expensive.... you wont be out much at all if you do the work.. the expensive part would be paying for labor

Old 12-26-2006, 04:48 AM
juscarter is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i had this problem with the ball joint recently. For some reason mechanics at two diff shops couldn't figure out what kind of replacement part i needed. Somethin bout a hub assembly. All said and done i ended up payin about 300 for it, if i remember right.