Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Help on some tires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
BlakeHeimbach90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on some tires.

I have a 2000 Blazer S10. I am trying to find some new tires to get casue the tread is almost completly gone. I have 15 inch rims. Any suggestions.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:18 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Help on some tires.

Are you wanting to stay with the stock tire size? (most likely 235/75r15 or 235/70r15)

What are you looking for in a tire? Better offroad traction? Longer lasting? As cheap as possible?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 AM

I was wanting more off roading tires, and i wanted to maybe stray away from the stock tires, but to me it doesnt look like i can really get any bigger without having some rub or trimming down something. Maybe a little wider would be nice.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

30x9.5 is going to be your biggest/widest without rubbing or trimming.

A pretty popular favorite are the BF Goodrich All-Terrain, but I prefer the General Grabber AT2. Made by Continental, 65,000 mile warranty, pretty much identical tread design as the BFGs.

These are going to give you a little more road noise than you're used to with street tires, and if that's going to be a problem I'd look at Toyo Open Country A/Ts, or maybe a Yokohoma Geolander A/T.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yep the tires mentioned above are pretty popular on the blazers. Also the sizing specified is correct, which a 30x9.5 inch tire is a 2" larger than stock tire, giving you about 1" of lift dependent on the inflation pressure. I have been very pleased with the 235/75R15 BFG All Terrians I have, they have about the same noise level new as my old highway tires had when they were worn. They also have a slightly higher rolling resistance which means you could experience slightly worse gas mileage, especially between switching between highway stock tires and stock sized agressive all terrian tires. I dropped about 1-2mpg depending on driving conditions.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer
I dropped about 1-2mpg depending on driving conditions.
YESSS...That's one thing I forgot to take into account when I got my tires. It probably wouldn't have changed anything, but I was not prepared for the first fill-up after going to A/T tires. Between the roof rack (-2 mpg), the grille guard (-1 mph), tires (-1 mpg) and lack of tune up in a very long time (-2/3 mpg)....well let's just say consider your mileage and driving habits before getting new tires

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I also would recommend the General Grabber AT2s. I love mine, and I think that they look great and this may be biased but I think that they look better than the BFGs.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM

I just checked out the 30x9.5 on the BFGs, General Grabber AT2s ,and I like them alot. I am pretty torn between the two. Ya i am perpared for the gas reduction,

Thanks for everyones help

Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 PM

What is the size of stock rims to the t? Backspacing and all?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

The stock rims are 15" by I think 7", the back spacing is 6" on a 4x4. You should be good mounting up to a 10.5" wide tire on the stock rim. The Generals are good looking but I like the looks of the BFG AT's better. Never really driven on the Generals but I am sure they do great as well.

Make sure that if you are getting a larger than stock tire to remember that your spedometer and trip/odometer will be off by a certain percentage (i.e. if your stock speedometer says you are going 60mph you are probably doing 61-62mph). You can calculate this online by going to this tire calculator online. Also your odometer would be off by a certain percentage (i.e mine is 3% off, so every hundred miles I drive according to the trip odometer, I really went 103 miles).

You can get your computer reprogrammed through many methods to account for the change in tire size (i.e. flash tune, wait4me tune, hypertech programmer, local garage/dealer). Good luck on your tire purchase and let us know if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply: Help on some tires.