Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

ion 174 wheels backspacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
bowshooter1 is on a distinguished road
Default ion 174 wheels backspacing

hey i ordered these wheels on monday and all it tells me is the offset i was wondering if anybody could tell me what the backspacing on these is so i would know how far they are gonna stick out.

Detroit Wheels 174-5861B Ion 174 Series Wheels

thanks for any help im hoping for a fast reply cuz i get the wheels tommorow and i dont want to have to wait to measure them also how do you like them?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

4.25 inch backspacing I believe.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Starting Member

ok how do you figure it out i know there is a way to figure it out using the rim width and offset.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Starting Member

just went out and measured it and i think its 3.75 bs

Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

There is a mathematical relationship which is easy to state, but which requires one additional measurement; Thickness of the inside bead-rim of the wheel. Here is why;

Offset is measured in "mm" (yours says -27) and is the distance from the mounting flat surface of the wheel, to the theoretical center of the tire viewed from the front. For a 7" wheel with 0 mm offset, the "Back Spacing" would be 3.5" PLUS the thickness of the outer bead rim. This is because the seven inch measurement is from inside bead rim to inside bead rim, however the "back spacing" is measured from the outside of the inner bead rim. Your wheels say they are 8" inside the bead rims.

If we assume your inner bead rim is .5" then back spacing is equal to (offset in mm)/25.4 plus (wheel width in inches)/2 plus thickness of inner bead rim (we assume .5";

(-27(your wheels)/25.4) + 8"(your wheels)/2 + .5"(rim thickness) = 3.5" back spacing

Hope this is helpful

Last edited by billbobagns; 12-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

^Great, now my brain-cavity hurts.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by billbobagns
There is a mathematical relationship which is easy to state, but which requires one additional measurement; Thickness of the inside bead-rim of the wheel. Here is why;

Offset is measured in "mm" (yours says -27) and is the distance from the mounting flat surface of the wheel, to the theoretical center of the tire viewed from the front. For a 7" wheel with 0 mm offset, the "Back Spacing" would be 3.5" PLUS the thickness of the outer bead rim. This is because the seven inch measurement is from inside bead rim to inside bead rim, however the "back spacing" is measured from the outside of the inner bead rim. Your wheels say they are 8" inside the bead rims.

If we assume your inner bead rim is .5" then back spacing is equal to (offset in mm)/25.4 plus (wheel width in inches)/2 plus thickness of inner bead rim (we assume .5";

(-27(your wheels)/25.4) + 8"(your wheels)/2 + .5"(rim thickness) = 3.5" back spacing

Hope this is helpful
Very well stated

Here is a good chart that I often post in threads asking about offset. It assumes a half-inch bead thickness.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Starting Member

ok so its about 3.5 inch backspacing? i got them mounted today and they stick way out lol

here is what they look like mounted

here iz the difference between the old and the new

and here iz my new stance it looks awesome

Last edited by bowshooter1; 12-30-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by bowshooter1
here is what they look like mounted

here iz the difference between the old and the new

and here iz my new stance it looks awesome
I was taking a guess at the time and then found a chart similar to the one already posted in here. I stand corrected though.

And your pics didn't show up for some reason. Looking forward to the pictures though.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Starting Member

they show up on my screen lol . ill put them in my albums under new wheels.
they are up now wonder why they didnt show up for you.

Last edited by bowshooter1; 12-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: ion 174 wheels backspacing