Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Michelin LTX A/T2 or LTX M/S2

Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
Baddogkuzz is on a distinguished road
Default Michelin LTX A/T2 or LTX M/S2

I am wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the Michelin LTX A/T2 235/75R15
LTX A/T2 | Michelin Tires
I also thought about the Michelin LTX M/S2 but I am just not sure it will do as well with snow.
LTX M/S2 | Michelin Tires
I am NOT looking for a off road tire I am looking for a good all season tire that will handle snow and some gavel roads. Maybe alittle light off road when I am trying to get somewhere I shouldn't be. I am getting ready to replace a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 that I got about 6yrs 40k out of them. The Revo's still do OK even in the snow with only 3/32 to 4/32's but after about 28k they got noisey and a vibration in them after 35k. Mind you over all I was very pleased with the Revo but the noise, vibration and only 40k has me looking at the Michelin LTX A/T2 or LTX M/S2.

Mind you my Blazer/ Trailblazer is what my wife and child drive most of the time and I want the best tire I can get. Besides I think my wife needs all the help she can get to keep it on the road and out of the ditches.

Last edited by Baddogkuzz; 01-20-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Starting Member
jmparker82 is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about the Cooper Discoverer AT3? I use them in North Dakota and it just does amazing. Went by a explorer that was using 4x4 and I was still in 2wd on snow and ice. Just something to think about.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jmparker82
Have you thought about the Cooper Discoverer AT3? I use them in North Dakota and it just does amazing. Went by a explorer that was using 4x4 and I was still in 2wd on snow and ice. Just something to think about.
I know a couple of guy locally running the AT3's on a full size Chevy and Ford and they have had good luck with them. But due to the outer sipes in the thread they seem to cup and be very noisey. One guy only has about 20k on them and the tread is about 75% gone. That could be due to off roading and around town driving he does. They are also only a 55k tire.

The Dueler A/T Revo 2 is a 50k/ 5yr tire and I only made it to 40k + but it took me 6yrs.

Where the the LTX M/S2 is 70k and the LTX A/T2 is a 60k/ 6yr.

Last edited by Baddogkuzz; 01-20-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 PM
babeba67 is on a distinguished road

I've run all three of these tires but not on a blazer. Here is my experience...The Michelin ATs are great in all conditions and loved them on two Suburbans I had, but the MS version is what I have on my plow truck and rarely get stuck with plowing snow in northern Michigan and they are superior in the rain. I currently have the coopers on my 2004 half ton Silverado and they are also good but I've found I have to rotate religiously or they start to cup. The don't last as long as the michelins. I have over 530,000 miles (yes that is the correct number of zeros) on my 1991 Chevy half ton and have gone through Many sets of the michelin ms version on that truck and won't buy anything else for that vehicle. With rotations at 6-8k miles I usually get about 65-70k out of them and I run the hell out of them.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by babeba67
I've run all three of these tires but not on a blazer. Here is my experience...The Michelin ATs are great in all conditions and loved them on two Suburbans I had, but the MS version is what I have on my plow truck and rarely get stuck with plowing snow in northern Michigan and they are superior in the rain. I currently have the coopers on my 2004 half ton Silverado and they are also good but I've found I have to rotate religiously or they start to cup. The don't last as long as the michelins. I have over 530,000 miles (yes that is the correct number of zeros) on my 1991 Chevy half ton and have gone through Many sets of the michelin ms version on that truck and won't buy anything else for that vehicle. With rotations at 6-8k miles I usually get about 65-70k out of them and I run the hell out of them.

Hope this helps.
First of all congrats on 530k on the Chevy 1/2 that is impressive !! Thank you for sharing your experience with the Michelin's & Coopers. I have always wanted to try a set of Michelin's but never have had the cash too. But since this is the vehicle my wife drives it makes it easier to justify the cost. Now I am surprised to hear the M/S2 work so well for you in the snow. Also how are the M/S on wet grass and gravel/ mud roads? I don't mean off road mud but you know like some of the roads you have up there N Michigan. I'll bet you have been staying busy plowing this winter with the lake effect. Now when you were running the A/T's on your Suburbans did you get to try the A/T2 or were they not out yet? I ask because the first A/T's looked like they would wear well on the shoulders but I am a little worried about how the wear would be on the shoulders of the new A/T2's.

But from your testimonial about the Michelins and all the reviews I have read that is why I want a set. But I have to say when it comes to reading reviews about tires online it drives me NUTs when people post a review on a tire after only 1k to 5k !!!! Any new tire is going to do well when new?!? I personal only want to read reviews after 40k to 60k or like yourself that has run 2 or more sets of them.

Last edited by Baddogkuzz; 01-21-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

I've had my cooper at/3s on my blazer for about 1 year and 10k. They do all that I ask of them with ease and keep asking for more.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM
babeba67 is on a distinguished road

I ran the original LTX AT on my Suburbans and when it was time to put new tires on my plow truck they had changed the design to the AT2 which I didn't like as much so that's when I switched to the M/S. I didn't think at first it would be as good, but the tread design has huge gaps in the tread design with "blocks and chunks" of tread that are superior at siping snow and water. The LTX AT seemed to "cake up" in the tread more than the M/S but again I don't have experience with the newer AT2. As for wet grass or dirt/gravel roads the MS does well there too.

FYI.. I have also run BFG T/A KO on a couple of trucks and they are better in the mud than the Michelin, but honestly I'm in the mud much less than the snow and on wet pavement so I buy Michelins. The rubber compound also seems superior to the Coopers that I have. Maybe it's just my bias but the Coopers are good tires but the tread after about 40K miles has just started to disappear even with regular rotations like I mentioned.

I'm not trying to sound like a Michelin commercial but after buying many sets I don't see a reason to switch. The only reason I got the Coopers was experimental and I got an additional $150 off the set with a deal already that put them about $400 less than the Michelins at the time.

Good luck in your decision. Front end components in good shape and regular balance and rotations are your friend along with proper inflation.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by babeba67
I'm not trying to sound like a Michelin commercial but after buying many sets I don't see a reason to switch. The only reason I got the Coopers was experimental and I got an additional $150 off the set with a deal already that put them about $400 less than the Michelins at the time.

Good luck in your decision. Front end components in good shape and regular balance and rotations are your friend along with proper inflation.
Thank you again this is the kind of info I was looking for. There will be a set of Michelins going on my Blazer soon. I have heard nothing but positive things about the M/S and the M/S2's. But I haven't heard alot about the A/T2's and with the way they look I am just worried about them cupping and I end up with what I am dealing with on the Revo's. Mind you these Revo's are very good tires. So I am leaning towards the M/S2's. Mind you I started this thread looking for input on only the Michelin's and I am not trying to knock the tires but honestly I have always felt Michelin makes the best tire on the market. Not saying that others are bad but of the other companies I would say "How many guys have over 50k on a tire and it still drives right?"

Like I said earlier I am not looking for a off road tire I am looking for a high mileage All Season tire. So on a side note I would also like to bring up the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction I run them on my dually drive tires and they are some tough, B.A. tire that do well doing everything except for the fact that they are noisey. Now on my dually it is only a 2wd and does as well as most 4wd in the snow with the Commercial T/A Traction out back. Believe it or not. It kinda is a 4wd just that all 4 are out back. LOL Mind you my DRW is a hauler and I sometimes do hot shot loads all over the country in all kinds of weather. When I need a new set of steers for it I am either getting Commercial T/A2 or the Michelin M/S2 since there is no real rotation.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 AM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

The M/S2's are great tires. I had a set on my old 4Runner and just put a set on my '99 Yukon. The ride was immediately better than the BFG Rugged Trails. The wife even mentioned it was quieter.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

Had the MS2's and they handled just fine. I like their superb traction in the rain.

Search this Thread