Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Need Help stopping tires from rubbing top of fender!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help stopping tires from rubbing top of fender!

I had a 1999 Blazer and now a 2000 and im still haveing the same problem, I have the stock tire size of 235/75/15 on Crager Soft 8's with 4.5" Backspacing. I totally understand the difference and what not and why im rubbing but my trucks bump stops are shot. Im wondering if i get new bumpstops if that will help it at all. I need to also get new leafs in the rear because they are sagging 1.25" after 143,000 miles so after that ill be able to crank the the tbars up about half an inch to an inch to sit level and have more clearance. Just wonding if bump stops would help out though.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

the bump stops might help out a little bit preventing the tires going up so high at full flex but how often are you rubbing? if is over little bumps or just like really big ones? I'd say if they are on the big bumps the bump stocks might help. if its over little bumps then you will probably have to crank your tbars or trim your fenders

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
the bump stops might help out a little bit preventing the tires going up so high at full flex but how often are you rubbing? if is over little bumps or just like really big ones? I'd say if they are on the big bumps the bump stocks might help. if its over little bumps then you will probably have to crank your tbars or trim your fenders
Its only on the big ones when my truck flexs alot, im probally going to have to deff get bump stops

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your front end isn't sitting where it's supposed to be sitting and needs to be cranked up a bit. They shouldn't rub even with the 4.5" BS rims if the suspension is sitting at the proper ride height using stock sized tires.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

thats true. don't some blazers suffer from weak tbars?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely is not outside the realm of possibility.

You can check the ride height using the details in the Tech Article (DIY) section.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Im only sitting about half an inch lower in the front then i should be factory and im trying to get new leafs for the rear cause im about an inch and a quarter lower than factory. But also my bump stops are shot but i cant get them anytime soon the guys at chevy said, they are all way out of state and in 2 different states. Thinking about getting bigger than factory bump stops maybe from summit or a truck shop not sure, but i did crank the front end up a turn earlier today

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't be hitting the bump stops all that much if your suspension was at proper ride height.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

1 cheap way to help avoid your tires from cut to shreds is to roll the lip up on the fender. Tha cheapest way to do that is to get yourself an old wooden baseball bat and place it between the tire and the fenderand as you roll back and forth you pry up with enogh force to roll the lip up but not so much as to pry out the fender. But the correct way is make sure and or correct any sagging problems you may have. The lip method would really be for just a little bit more clearence.The lip method of clearance is something I saw done back in the day to make clearance for 50 series tires in rear wheel wells on 60-70 Muscle Cars.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Just go for it and hacksaw your fenders like I did...

Quick Reply: Need Help stopping tires from rubbing top of fender!